Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Circuit breakers as switches

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I hadn't thought of that.

As others have mentioned, the point seems moot if I stay within 24" which I can.
    If you have box, conduit (of any length), panel, isnt that a complete raceway?
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Yes, but complete raceways 24" or less don't require any derating.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

While I would not wire lights w/o switches in the circuit, just utilizing the breakers, now that it is wired that way, what's the big deal with replacing the breakers every so often? 12 1p 20A GE breakers arent expensive and the labor is nil compared to adding onto the circuit.
    +1

GE plug on breakers are not much more expensive then a 20 amp spec grade switch is.

Throw lighting contactors into the mix and total installation/possible maintenance cost jumps pretty fast.

See post #3

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    The old CB's were generally listed as switch duty (SWD), newer ones are typically listed as HID for high intensity discharge lighting.
    Switching Duty (SWD), is an optional rating for 15 and 20A single pole breakers. HID is an equivalent type of rating used on all other breakers.
    As I recall, SWD involved on-off cycling as well as contact material, for the most part an SWD breaker is tested similar to a standard wall switch.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I'm with the others here who recommend just replacing the breakers and calling it a day. However, I was asked a few times to provide switches next to a panel just to keep people out of the panel who always seemed to mess with circuits not associated with the lighting. I used a 1900 type gang box that is available up to 9 gang. Once your wiring is in the box it is no longer subject to bundling because the conductors are far enough apart.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    I'm with the others here who recommend just replacing the breakers and calling it a day. However, I was asked a few times to provide switches next to a panel just to keep people out of the panel who always seemed to mess with circuits not associated with the lighting. I used a 1900 type gang box that is available up to 9 gang. Once your wiring is in the box it is no longer subject to bundling because the conductors are far enough apart.

-Hal

Hmmm. Client is asking for switches. Wants switches. I quoted him $1300 to put in switches and replace the worn breakers. I suppose I could convince him to just let me change the breakers for $200 instead. But I won't. No wonder so many EC's go out of business.