Thread: Gas pipe as electrode

Gas pipe as electrode

I have incoming utility that is feeding main distribution panel in multi occupancy building. The system grounding is at the main distribution panel which has neutral bar and ground bar. The neutral bar in main distribution panel has individual conductors each individual seperate conductor from neutral bar going to following: building steel, water pipe, ufer, ground rod, and gas pipe. Is the connection to gas pipe USING GAS PIPE as GROUND ELECTRODE? Or the connection BONDED to GAS PIPE and NOT using as ground electrode?

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Good question. I would go for bonding the gas line, because you are not allowed to use the gas line as an electrode.

That helped, right?
    Tom
    TBLO

I already know 250.52 gas pipe not to use as ground electrode. My question is my original post the installation is existing so the installation would the gas pipe installation as describe in original post interpeted as gas pipe used as ground electrode or interperted as bonded and not used as ground electrode?

Quote Originally Posted by codequestion View Post
    I already know 250.52 gas pipe not to use as ground electrode. My question is my original post the installation is existing so the installation would the gas pipe installation as describe in original post interpeted as gas pipe used as ground electrode or interperted as bonded and not used as ground electrode?
    I figured you knew or you would not have asked the question. What the intent of the original installer was is your guess. Bonding of the gas line in the small town my shop is in effectively makes it part of the GES. The meters are in the alleys and 50-100 ft of black pipe is buried to the house. There are no fancy isolating fittings at the houses.

Are you tied just to the internal piping of the house? Then it's a bond.
    Tom
    TBLO

I thought I had read somewhere that normally there is an isolating fitting on gas meters so the bond on the inside gas piping has no connection to the gas piping at might be Underground.

Short of such and isolating fitting I don't see how you could bond a gas pipe without making it a grounding electrode. At least in Practical terms.
    Bob

There should be a dielectric fitting at the meter which should isolate the indoor pipe from the outside piping

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    There should be a dielectric fitting at the meter which should isolate the indoor pipe from the outside piping
    At the meter, so if your meter is 50 feet away and the pipe is buried to the house...
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    At the meter, so if your meter is 50 feet away and the pipe is buried to the house...
    I would get the gas people to install a dielectric fitting