Thread: Three light switches for single room

Three light switches for single room

I have a room with three doors. I'd like a light switch next to each door to turn on/off the lights when entering/exiting the room. Would I need one 4-way switch, and two 3-way switches? Would it be possible to use three 3-way switches? Thanks.

3 -3 way switches will not work u need 3way 4way 3way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Taking it a step further, you have to have a 3-way at the beginning and at the end of the run. But you can have as many 4-way switches in between as you wish. Finally, keeping in mind that I have no clue about the prices of such things, you can use nothing but 4-way switches, as long as you wire the first and the last as though they were 3-ways.
    Charles E. Beck, P.E., Seattle
    Comments based on 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted.

This forum is for electricians not homeowners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blkmagik21 View Post
    This forum is for electricians not homeowners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OP profile says he is engineering student. Asking a general question of that nature is probably allowed. Asking for DIY advice is not.

Quote Originally Posted by rc7288 View Post
    I have a room with three doors. I'd like a light switch next to each door to turn on/off the lights when entering/exiting the room. Would I need one 4-way switch, and two 3-way switches? Would it be possible to use three 3-way switches? Thanks.
    Yes. 3 way, 4 way, 3 way. There's no need to complicate matters by trying to use all 3 or 4 way switches. Is it possible to use 3 3 ways? I dont think so, not without getting into some odd/unconventional/not-code wiring.

Switches are dirt cheap anyway and any place that sells electrical will have both 3 and 4 way switches.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!