Separate grounding electrode bus bar rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
For the record it would make more sense if the grounding conductor was called a ground and the grounded conductor was called a neutral,,,,or whatever you choose to identify them as other than almost the same thing. S o if i say ground its not cause i dont understand what i meant .
Call it an Equipment Grounding Conductor and everybody will know exactly what you are talking about.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
For the record it would make more sense if the grounding conductor was called a ground and the grounded conductor was called a neutral,,,,or whatever you choose to identify them as other than almost the same thing. S o if i say ground its not cause i dont understand what i meant .

Call it an Equipment Grounding Conductor and everybody will know exactly what you are talking about.
OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION TO ALL ELECTRICAL TRADESPERSONS: From this date forward, what was formerly know as a grounded conductor is now to be called the reference conductor. All other system circuit conductors shall be called line conductors. An equipment grounding or bonding conductor shall now be called a safety or safety bonding conductor, respectively. The only items which shall retain "ground" or its derivatives in their names shall be components of the Grounding Electrode System.

:eek::eek::eek:

electricalist

And with his words there was calm across the land,,,cats played with dogs ,dogs played with cats, and reference conductors and safety bonding conductors came together to unite as one and people across the land FINALLY could see how they are different and when they are the same....All hail the" Smart$" King.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
OFFICIAL NOTIFICATION TO ALL ELECTRICAL TRADESPERSONS: From this date forward, what was formerly know as a grounded conductor is now to be called the reference conductor. All other system circuit conductors shall be called line conductors. An equipment grounding or bonding conductor shall now be called a safety or safety bonding conductor, respectively. The only items which shall retain "ground" or its derivatives in their names shall be components of the Grounding Electrode System.

:eek::eek::eek:
Gotta get the EU on board to help the NEC continue with their Glasnost program of harmonizing with foreign codes....Protective Earth okay with you.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Gotta get the EU on board to help the NEC continue with their Glasnost program of harmonizing with foreign codes....Protective Earth okay with you.
Don't really care for it myself. Why not call it what it is? Everyone wants to come up with some fancy smancy name so they can tell their cohorts, "I did that."

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Don't really care for it myself. Why not call it what it is? Everyone wants to come up with some fancy smancy name so they can tell their cohorts, "I did that."
I agree......mostly, kind of...I know I am not looking to coin my own phrase for sure.

I did not invent the term EGC, I just found it handy to use in conversations with other electricians even before I joined here. You know what EGC means and I haven't even met you, so why start adding or changing things.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree......mostly, kind of...I know I am not looking to coin my own phrase for sure.

I did not invent the term EGC, I just found it handy to use in conversations with other electricians even before I joined here. You know what EGC means and I haven't even met you, so why start adding or changing things.
My post was made as tongue-in-cheek humor, even though it has some grit to it. :D

I am certainly not attempting to lead a lobbyist group for change... radical or otherwise. :happyno:

But they wont always know the theory and what connection to earth and the source does and doesnt do. I dont see how anyone can deny that this remains a huge issue in our field. I would say without exaggeration, more than half the EC's I met dont get it, and many of those are in states that have some of the highest education requirements, MA and RI. I am not necessarily saying changing terms will solve the problem, maybe thats not the answer, but the fact is there is a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.