Thread: PV Disconnecting means

PV Disconnecting means

The Utility companies in Michigan require a AC disconnect between the inverter AC output and the back feed breaker in the electrical panel, to be located in proximity to the utility meter. If i am installing a service disconnect off the meter and converting the existing electrical panel to a sub-panel, can the new service disconnect be also used as the solar AC disconnect ? (they serve the same purpose). Where can i find verbage to validate this /
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Eros View Post
    The Utility companies in Michigan require a AC disconnect between the inverter AC output and the back feed breaker in the electrical panel, to be located in proximity to the utility meter. If i am installing a service disconnect off the meter and converting the existing electrical panel to a sub-panel, can the new service disconnect be also used as the solar AC disconnect ? (they serve the same purpose). Where can i find verbage to validate this /
    Thank you
    I don't think so. Most utilities want to be able to shut off and lock out the solar feed without affecting anything else.

Where can i find verbage to validate this /
    Thank you
    You should be able to get the exact language directly from the utility. They should have a person or group that handles interconnections that can help you out.

Line side tap, back fed ,service disconnect to combiner and probably a few other methods all have one thing in common. They all will have a service disconnect grouped by the meter.
    The hardest faults to clear are mine

Quote Originally Posted by electricalist View Post
    Line side tap, back fed ,service disconnect to combiner and probably a few other methods all have one thing in common. They all will have a service disconnect grouped by the meter.
    Deleted

Thank you
    Your description is a little unclear. Why are you installing the new service disconnect.

If you're doing a supplyside connection and will have one new disconnect for the loads and one new disconnect for the solar, then the latter can fulfill your utility requirement, I would think.

If the new service disconnect is being put in for some other reason and will disconnect more than just the solar from the grid, then it won't suffice.