Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cat 6 termination, A or B?

Cat 6 termination, A or B?

Installing surveillance cams for a home owner. Could not find a spec on the instructions, wondering which is more common, A or B, any help would be appreciated.

My brother installed a Lorex system in his house and the cameras would not work with his pinning even though the pairs were correct on both ends. He called them and it turned out that he needed the proper termination protocol (568B) because the cameras would only work with the correct number of twists in the cable pairs. I would double check with the camera manufacturer or go with the 568B because that's a newer standard.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    My brother installed a Lorex system in his house and the cameras would not work with his pinning even though the pairs were correct on both ends. He called them and it turned out that he needed the proper termination protocol (568B) because the cameras would only work with the correct number of twists in the cable pairs. I would double check with the camera manufacturer or go with the 568B because that's a newer standard.
    If you believe that I have a bridge I want to sell you...

568B is the most common (and oldest because it is an old WECO standard) here in the US. 568A is for compatibility with telecom especially when you punch one end down on a 66 block. Either can be used, it's just the green and orange pairs are swapped. Electricity is color blind.

Infinity- GUARANTEED he screwed up the plugs when he crimped them on.

-Hal

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by azebra View Post
    Installing surveillance cams for a home owner. Could not find a spec on the instructions, wondering which is more common, A or B, any help would be appreciated.

"B".

i've never terminated in "A".... ever.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Well, you do want to use "A" when the rest of the facility is "A" and you are adding drops. That's about the only time I do it. Otherwise the next guy will be pulling his hair out.

-Hal

As long as both ends are the same it doesnt matter tho 568B is more commercial and A residential, I never do A.

I have a hard time believing that Lorex story because not every cable mfg twists the pairs the same, and all 4 pairs have different twist rates. I think Hal nailed it.

The pinout for 568B is white/orange, orange/white, white/green, blue/white, white/blue, green/white, white/brown, brown/white.

Also, never put on plugs in the field if you can help it - use jacks and patch cords - a beginner absolutely will hose up making the plugs.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Also, never put on plugs in the field if you can help it - use jacks and patch cords
    That is the absolute truth, I've been preaching that for a long time. I've been putting plugs on cables for probably 20 years so you would think I would have it down by now. But I still have to cut some off and re-do them not to mention trying to figure out which end is at fault.

-Hal

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    That is the absolute truth, I've been preaching that for a long time. I've been putting plugs on cables for probably 20 years so you would think I would have it down by now. But I still have to cut some off and re-do them not to mention trying to figure out which end is at fault.

-Hal
    Have you tried EZ PRO rj45 connectors? Just about mistake proof.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    If you believe that I have a bridge I want to sell you...

568B is the most common (and oldest because it is an old WECO standard) here in the US. 568A is for compatibility with telecom especially when you punch one end down on a 66 block. Either can be used, it's just the green and orange pairs are swapped. Electricity is color blind.

Infinity- GUARANTEED he screwed up the plugs when he crimped them on.

-Hal
    Nope you're incorrect. I checked them personally with a pair tester and all of the cables tested good. We cut off the RJ45's and installed new ones using 568B and then the cameras worked.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by Mgraw View Post
    Have you tried EZ PRO rj45 connectors? Just about mistake proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Nope you're incorrect. I checked them personally with a pair tester and all of the cables tested good. We cut off the RJ45's and installed new ones using 568B and then the cameras worked.
    RJ-45 is a very specific registered jack designation that is NOT the same as 568 8p8c. Yes, I have used the plugs that the wires pass thru so miswiring is virtually impossible. But a patch cord costs a buck and it takes me about 10 minutes to wire two 8p8c plug onto a piece of cable, which, btw, patch cords should be stranded and have the appropriate 8p8c stranded plug connector on it. Putting a 8p8c plug made for stranded wire onto solid wire (of which 99% of Catx wiring is) will guarantee problems in short order.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ45

"RJ45 (computers), an unkeyed 8-position, 8-contact modular plug (incorrectly referred to as RJ45)..."

"Although commonly referred to as an RJ45 in the context of Ethernet and category 5 cables, it is incorrect to refer to a generic 8P8C connector as an RJ45.[8][9][10]"
    Last edited by JFletcher; 07-29-17 at 02:19 PM.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!