Thread: ARC Flash Labeling

ARC Flash Labeling

We have completed our AF study and moving towards the labeling phase. Our previous AF labels are more of a 'landscape' style rather than the latest AF studies 'portrait' style. We attempted to pull off the old labels and they will not cooperate i.e. they come off in shreds thus very time consuming! We thought about covering the older label with the new label however the older label will still be partially exposed. Any thoughts as to how we can cover or remove the older labels? Thanks

Have you tried anything like a cleaner solution to help remove the previous labels? Rough up old label with sandpaper and spray, soak and remove?

A plain white label material across the old label and then the new one on top of that?

Black Sharpie marker on parts of old label still exposed after installing the new label?

Thanks wbdvt for the response. I tried using WD40 (have been successful in the past) however these labels will not let go. I believe I am going to use 4" x 6" labels with 480VOLTS to cover them up.

WD-40 is purposely NOT a good solvent, although it will penetrate well and loosen the bond in some cases. But sometimes to avoid having label adhesive attack enclosure paint, they use a glue that can be dissolved in alcohol. Try using denatured alcohol and really soak it for a few minutes. It evaporates really fast of course, so you have to soak a rag, then hold the rag up to the label for a couple of minutes sometimes. I've had a lot of success with that on electrical labels.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Thanks Jraef for the response

Quote Originally Posted by fraymond View Post
    We have completed our AF study and moving towards the labeling phase. Our previous AF labels are more of a 'landscape' style rather than the latest AF studies 'portrait' style. We attempted to pull off the old labels and they will not cooperate i.e. they come off in shreds thus very time consuming! We thought about covering the older label with the new label however the older label will still be partially exposed. Any thoughts as to how we can cover or remove the older labels? Thanks
    Use a heat gun to remove the old labels and then you can remove the old adhesive with "goof off" and/or waterless hand cleaner (with grit).

Quote Originally Posted by stevenje View Post
    Use a heat gun to remove the old labels and then you can remove the old adhesive with "goof off" and/or waterless hand cleaner (with grit).
    Above works well, use a long handled razor blade scraper, sometimes a citrus based cleaner will work.
    Moderator-Washington State
    Ancora Imparo

I've used goo gone and it work well.

https://googone.com/