compact cfls do not always come on

Status
Not open for further replies.

dldave

New User
In my kitchen, the six CFL bulbs in cans do not always come on. Usually 3 or 4 out of the six come on, but the ones that do not show a quick flash and do not light up. Also, the bulbs that light are not always the same ones. Rarely do all six come on at any one time. Any clues or suggestions would be appreciated.

gar

Occupation
EE
150227-0849 EST

Are the lights supplied from a phase shift dimmer? What brand of bulb?

If you pick one of the bulbs that is most likely to not start, and put this bulb in a single test socket, and as you repetitively plug the test socket cord into an outlet, then is there a problem with the bulb starting?

What is the voltage at the test outlet? And the voltage at the can fixture from where you removed the bulb?

If you connect a Variac to the test outlet, and now use the Variac output as your test outlet, then at what voltage does the CFL have a hard time starting? Most packaged Variacs are wired to provide about 0 - 140 V when supplied with 120 V.

Besoeker

When we moved to our present house about 10 years ago we were given a present of a a bunch of CFLs by our energy supplier.
Some are on permanently (8000 hours a year) like on the hall stairs and landing. I don't want to trip over the stone cats when I want to downstairs.
In that ten years I think no more than two have failed and we have replaced them with LEDs none of which have failed.
And none of which fail to come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.