Residential garage recptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
... Plugmold strip with eight single receptacle modules... MWBC?....

A surface mounted luminaire with no "outlet box".

All excellent examples, and they display how ambiguity in the code can really put us in a tight spot sometimes. What seems right to me might be completely unraveled in 5 seconds.

what if a guy wired a 3-bay garage, and for receptacles he joined (2) 6' Plugmold sections across the back wall of only the middle bay?

Where does the bay start and stop? Is it exactly centered between two doors, etc?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Being that is is stated a receptacle outlet by outlet definition I would tend to disagree and say that you would need one opening per stall to be located somewhere in the garage in accordance with the AHJ.

The code reads that an receptacle outlet be installed in each car space. Imo it cannot be anywhere. The intent here is to have a receptacle where you can have power for the vehicle for whatever reason. I don't see why a duplex in the center would not satisfy the intent if 2 duplexes inches apart would satisfy it.

The code reads that an receptacle outlet be installed in each car space. Imo it cannot be anywhere. The intent here is to have a receptacle where you can have power for the vehicle for whatever reason. I don't see why a duplex in the center would not satisfy the intent if 2 duplexes inches apart would satisfy it.

(G) Basements, Garages, and Accessory Buildings. For
a one-family dwelling, at least one receptacle outlet shall be
installed in the areas specified in 210.52(G)(1) through (3).
These receptacles shall be in addition to receptacles required
for specific equipment.
(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying
this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the
garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for
each car space.

It does NOT say "in", it does say "for". IMO the receptacle need not be "in" the car space. "In" the car space would require a floor receptacle:p

electricalist

When reading afci requirements it refers to outlets and devices.
We didn't put them on lights because It may have originally stated outlets.
So my guess is an outlet by nec could mean plug where device could be switch.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
When reading afci requirements it refers to outlets and devices.
We didn't put them on lights because It may have originally stated outlets.
So my guess is an outlet by nec could mean plug where device could be switch.

yes, it stated outlets. And around these parts, there was great confusion among inspectors, because an outlet even includes a smoke detector.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Here's the Article 100 definition, is a duplex receptacle one point or two points? Putting two single receptacles in two boxes right next to each other in lieu of a duplex in one box seems silly to me. :)
Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.
The problem is that the code section uses the term "receptacle outlet" and not just "outlet".
Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.
(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for each car space.
While a duplex is two receptacles, it is a single receptacle outlet. A single duplex does not satisfy the requirement found in 210.52(G)(1).
Two single receptacles in two boxes installed next to each other meets the code, requirements, but a duplex in a single box does not. Electrically there is no difference, but by the code rule there is.

As far as the location, in my opinion, they can be anywhere in the garage that is 5.5' or less above the garage floor.

electricalist

If a duplex is a single receptacle does it being dedicated change the device rating. 15 amp rated plug on a 20 amp circuit because 2 things plugged in can't both pull 20 amps?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I was referring to #27 while a duplex is 2 receptacles it is a single receptacle outlet.
That was my thought exactly. I disagree that a duplex is a single receptacle outlet as stated above. If it were then a 12 awg home run to a duplex would need to have a 20 amp receptacle. That is not the case-- 210.21

also the definition

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

iwire

Staff member
That was my thought exactly. I disagree that a duplex is a single receptacle outlet as stated above. If it were then a 12 awg home run to a duplex would need to have a 20 amp receptacle. That is not the case-- 210.21

also the definition

I agree, a duplex receptacle device is two receptacles. However the device is not the outlet.

From 2014 Article 100.
Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles
are installed.

Now

(G) Basements, Garages, and Accessory Buildings. For
a one-family dwelling, at least one receptacle outlet shall be
installed in the areas specified in 210.52(G)(1) through (3).
These receptacles shall be in addition to receptacles required
for specific equipment.

(1) Garages. In each attached garage and in each detached
garage with electric power. The branch circuit supplying
this receptacle(s) shall not supply outlets outside of the
garage. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for
each car space.

In my opinion the code as presently written requires one electrical box for use as a receptacle outlet to be installed for each car space.

I am not saying that was the intent, only how I see how it turned out.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree, a duplex receptacle device is two receptacles. However the device is not the outlet.

From 2014 Article 100.

Now

In my opinion the code as presently written requires one electrical box for use as a receptacle outlet to be installed for each car space.

I am not saying that was the intent, only how I see how it turned out.
I can agree with what you have said.

Now what is a Plugmold strip with eight receptacles, one outlet or eight outlets, How about if supplied by MWBC. How about a duplex supplied by a MWBC? Though I would like to think of the duplex supplied by a MWBC is two outlets, I feel per the facts you pointed out it is still one outlet, not sure what to think of the Plugmold example just yet.

electricalist

Maybe better understood if it were a device outlet. Receptacle outlet doesn't define the type which could be a single ,duplex , quad. Or be referred to as 1 single receptacle outlet.

iwire

Staff member
I will try it this way. :)

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the
outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single
receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact
device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or
more contact devices on the same yoke.

Device. A unit of an electrical system that carries or controls
electric energy as its principal function.

So clearly a receptacle is what we all expect it to be. The plastic device we purchase in colors and often install at receptacle outlets.

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles
are installed.

To me a receptacle outlet is typically the electrical box we install on the wall to contain a receptacle.

Perhaps this is exactly what the CMP wants, it forces the installation of multiple boxes for multiple car spaces. (IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.