new hire quiz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalist

What kind of experience?
At the company I work at there are basically 3 quizes . Probably 10 to 15 questions each.
I have seen quality guys do poorly because of slang understanding as well as sorry workers who knew all the answers.
Another company the boss would take out a current jobs drawings and start discussing where they are at on that day and ask for input....Answers alot of questions pretty quick

What kind of experience?
At the company I work at there are basically 3 quizes . Probably 10 to 15 questions each.
I have seen quality guys do poorly because of slang understanding as well as sorry workers who knew all the answers.
Another company the boss would take out a current jobs drawings and start discussing where they are at on that day and ask for input....Answers alot of questions pretty quick

yea I was thinking why should I have to download a quiz when i can just make one up.
so thats what I did just some basic questions that a experenced electricians helper or mechanic should know.I hate reading resumes some are very well prepared and thats a problem.
(so easy to lie on one)
it doesnt take long to see what a person knows in a few hours,its just going thru the hireing prosess with all the time involved.
thank you for the help :)

James L

Occupation
Electrician
1st question - Name 50 tools you own

2nd question - name 10 tools you don't own but would like to

that might tell you everything you need to know

cadpoint

You should pay attention to the years of experience your trying to hire for a specific level of competence - four to seven years of experience as an example! Just ask them: ?How long have you been in the business??

You should check that in fact any applicant does have the exact time of employment.

Ask them their level of experience, you can see it on paper and granted they might be some slight of hand and depending on region they should answer this with the appropriate answer. It's either on paper on not. Lying, around here, on an application is grounds for dismissal, much less any more of your consideration.

Do I have to give all the answers to?

For this level of competence you can ask the following;

How many current carrying wires can go in a 3/4? conduit before berating?
What is the minimum size service for a house (or for a out building or even a garage)?
What is the voltage that requires grounding bushing where a EMT conduit and connector is attached
to a MDP or a Disconnect?
If power on job site is maintained by the EC of record what is required to be done weekly?
What is required of all shop cords on an active construction job?
Is a field splice ever allowed on a on the job extension cord?
What is required when drilling over head?
Have them describe what they do when they terminate stranded and solid wires?
Have them describe what they do when they terminate wires in a plastic junction box that
acts as a distribution box for outside lighting?
Ask them to show all math to calculate a water heater circuit size? Given a 5400 wattage requirement with 240V.
In what respect does line of sight requirement(s) exist?
What in electrical work is considered a separately derived source?
With a simple 60 Watt lamp how many lamps can be on a construction bird cage string given a 20 Amp breaker?
Can a breaker have a dual voltage rating?
Can circuit breakers be used for switching lights on and off in a panel?
Define the difference between grounding and bonding!
Can a snap switch be used up for motors of 2 HP or less than 300 volts or less?
On fixture wire what is the minimum wire size allowed for a 20 amp circuit?

I'd ask them about their weaknesses- nobody's great at everything. I'd be more partial to someone who tells me they're lousy bending pipe but a good at roughing a house than someone that says "I can do it all!". Unless, of course, the job involves running lots of pipe. It shows some honesty.

Slang- I hate it. Preference to someone that knows the correct names for things even if they usually use the slang word. Toss a couple of parts on the table, ask what they're called and how they're used.

I'd ask them about their weaknesses- nobody's great at everything. I'd be more partial to someone who tells me they're lousy bending pipe but a good at roughing a house than someone that says "I can do it all!". Unless, of course, the job involves running lots of pipe. It shows some honesty.

Slang- I hate it. Preference to someone that knows the correct names for things even if they usually use the slang word. Toss a couple of parts on the table, ask what they're called and how they're used.

thanks guys all good answers I will use some of the questions onmy quick quiz I have to interview a few guys on monday.
I had one guy say he was a 14 year man just finished a starbucks I was paying him a jman wage
and had to tell him only one ground wire is needed in a conduit.(no ig)he would ask how many neutrals was needed in a conduit. needless to say hes gone now,Had to let him go, he didnt know strapping of emt or MC.Id say little to none commercial experience.he lasted 2 weeks.which was a week to long.
thanks again Guys

electricalist

Another thing a former boss did. he had a list of tools you should have and some times this list and what tools they showed him were another deciding factor.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
You should pay attention to the years of experience your trying to hire for a specific level of competence - four to seven years of experience as an example! Just ask them: ?How long have you been in the business??

You should check that in fact any applicant does have the exact time of employment.

Ask them their level of experience, you can see it on paper and granted they might be some slight of hand and depending on region they should answer this with the appropriate answer. It's either on paper on not. Lying, around here, on an application is grounds for dismissal, much less any more of your consideration.

Do I have to give all the answers to?

For this level of competence you can ask the following;

How many current carrying wires can go in a 3/4? conduit before berating?
What is the minimum size service for a house (or for a out building or even a garage)?
What is the voltage that requires grounding bushing where a EMT conduit and connector is attached
to a MDP or a Disconnect?
If power on job site is maintained by the EC of record what is required to be done weekly?
What is required of all shop cords on an active construction job?
Is a field splice ever allowed on a on the job extension cord?
What is required when drilling over head?
Have them describe what they do when they terminate stranded and solid wires?
Have them describe what they do when they terminate wires in a plastic junction box that
acts as a distribution box for outside lighting?
Ask them to show all math to calculate a water heater circuit size? Given a 5400 wattage requirement with 240V.
In what respect does line of sight requirement(s) exist?
What in electrical work is considered a separately derived source?
With a simple 60 Watt lamp how many lamps can be on a construction bird cage string given a 20 Amp breaker?
Can a breaker have a dual voltage rating?
Can circuit breakers be used for switching lights on and off in a panel?
Define the difference between grounding and bonding!
Can a snap switch be used up for motors of 2 HP or less than 300 volts or less?
On fixture wire what is the minimum wire size allowed for a 20 amp circuit?

You looking for an electrician or engineer?:blink::p

Status
Not open for further replies.