Residential garage recptacles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When interpretation is our basis its a good thing Johnny Cochran became a lawyer and not an Electrician.
Unfortunately, as we all know, there are many parts of this code that are open to interpretation. Every code cycle there are proposal to clear some of these up.

kwired

Electron manager
Unfortunately, as we all know, there are many parts of this code that are open to interpretation. Every code cycle there are proposal to clear some of these up.
And many that seem to add to the confusion as well, like where to place "outlets" which leads to just exactly "what is an outlet", in a residential garage:happyyes:

iwire

Staff member

In this case there is nothing to interpret. They used defined terms. You are simply choosing to ignore the definitions

Now when I look at the ROP it seems the CMP is thinking receptacles but used the submitters wording of receptacle outlets.

It seems to be a mistake but it is what it is and it currently says what it says.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Doesn't a duplex receptacle provide you with two points in which you can take current to supply utilization equipment?
Yes.

Is the receptacle part of the utilization equipment? No. Therefore it is part of the "wiring system", and the outlet occurs at the face of the receptacle. Two receptacles (duplex) means two outlets.

Cheers, Wayne

kwired

Electron manager
I seem to remember a debate one time over getting two SABC's to kitchen counter receptacles in a very small kitchen application at one time, the only counter available only needed one receptacle to comply with 210.52(C), but minimum of two SABC's circuits are still required to supply the counter receptacles according to 210.52(B)(3). I seem to recall a majority of forum members agreeing that a MWBC to a duplex receptacle would be acceptable for this application - which has some similarities to this discussion but also has some differences.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In this case there is nothing to interpret. They used defined terms. You are simply choosing to ignore the definitions

Now when I look at the ROP it seems the CMP is thinking receptacles but used the submitters wording of receptacle outlets.

It seems to be a mistake but it is what it is and it currently says what it says.

Bob, what is the definition of a receptacle outlet?
Here

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.

Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.

So as I see this a duplex is a multiple receptacle and as such would comply since the requirement in 210.52(G)(1) states receptacle outlet. Now maybe it is clear to you but it seems I see it differently in spite of how you feel about it. Because it is clear to you does not make me interpret it as you see it- nor, as I said earlier, do others as in the cmp member who sees it as I do.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Applause! Applause! The debates come up all the time when the CMP's overstep their boundaries.
Unfortunately there is more and more design rules every cycle. The req. for a neutral to be available at every switch just "in case it is needed" is a design rule-- one of many.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I seem to remember a debate one time over getting two SABC's to kitchen counter receptacles in a very small kitchen application at one time, the only counter available only needed one receptacle to comply with 210.52(C), but minimum of two SABC's circuits are still required to supply the counter receptacles according to 210.52(B)(3). I seem to recall a majority of forum members agreeing that a MWBC to a duplex receptacle would be acceptable for this application - which has some similarities to this discussion but also has some differences.

That seems silly, one circuit to the counter receptacle, the other to the fridge.

Status
Not open for further replies.