Wire length between communications gec and service gecs 810.21 800.93

Status
Not open for further replies.

yzman720

I have a new construction home that the satellite/cable/telephone enter at the complete opposite side from the electrical service. This is home is all electric no gas and ran completely in pex plumbing. Needless to say I cannot bond to the electrical service within 20' so I am going to have to drive a ground rod. The 6awg wire that I bond this ground rod back to the ground rods next to the electrical service is where my questions are. Is there a maximum length of the 6awg wire that I run from the communications ground rod back to the main ground rods? It will have to be buried approximately 140' with 3 - 90 degree turns to get it back to the main service entrance. I have not seen anything limiting the length but this is a long distance and was curious if I skipped anything in my readings? Also are the bends of any concern here I can make them sweeping 90's but they are there.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
800.100 (A)(4) for one and two family dwellings where the bonding conductor is greater than 20 ft
calls for an additional rod at the equipment I believe.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
800.100 (A)(4) for one and two family dwellings where the bonding conductor is greater than 20 ft
calls for an additional rod at the equipment I believe.
The [primary protector] bonding conductor must be not more than 20 ft. Where impracticable, a 'communications' electrode within 20 ft is required with a bonding jumper to the 'power' GES not less than #6. [800.100(A)(4) Exception, 800.100(D)]

yzman720

The [primary protector] bonding conductor must be not more than 20 ft. Where impracticable, a 'communications' electrode within 20 ft is required with a bonding jumper to the 'power' GES not less than #6. [800.100(A)(4) Exception, 800.100(D)]

yes it is impracticable in my case so I am going to have to drive a gec by the communications and run a 6awg back to the service gec I just didn't know if there was a length limit on this 6awg which in my case will be about 140'
i believe masterinbama answered it and said there is no limit

Status
Not open for further replies.