Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: In a Starbucks

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    US
    Posts
    308

    In a Starbucks

    Maybe on a GFI breaker but you never know

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    4,244
    A dollar says the GFCI is in the women's bathroom on the common wall. Stickers are missing tho unless not required in commercial...
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    11,712
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    A dollar says the GFCI is in the women's bathroom on the common wall. Stickers are missing tho unless not required in commercial...
    Stickers are only required when doing the GFCI thing for replacing ungrounded recs. A grounded GFCI protected rec does not have to have a sticker.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin


    Derek

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Valdosta, GA
    Posts
    3,808
    I've never done a Starbucks, but I do a looooooot of restaurants; 99% of them use GFI breakers exclusively for all receptacles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    17
    I've consistently noticed the electrical work after the initial construction at Starbucks is sub par. Set screw EMT connectors used outdoors and coated in silicone, holes drilled in the side of LB's to route low voltage cables, I think I saw the bell end of pvc conduit to Carlson transition too.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    6,071
    Quote Originally Posted by FE427TP View Post
    I've consistently noticed the electrical work after the initial construction at Starbucks is sub par. Set screw EMT connectors used outdoors and coated in silicone, holes drilled in the side of LB's to route low voltage cables, I think I saw the bell end of pvc conduit to Carlson transition too.
    a couple things to consider here....

    the labor pool you are drawing on, and the time constraints
    imposed by the work schedule.

    not justifying anything you've seen... far from it.

    SBUX remodels are usually done in 7 days, soup to nuts.
    at midnight on sunday, they pour out the coffee, and gut
    the store down to bare studs and slab. seven days to put
    it all in new. sawcut the slab, move plumbing, frame, rough
    electrical, tile, casework, and scheduling all the inspections.

    and they almost always open on time. there are contractors
    who specialize in this, and the good ones are in demand. it's
    not fun, and the turnover rate among the subs is pretty healthy.
    a big GC doing them may very well do over 200 of them a year.

    it's brutal for a reason. lost revenue from a store not opening
    on time. without naming sums, it's staggering the revenue
    of a SBUX, especially with a drive thru.

    right now, there's a shortage of good EC's doing SBUX work.
    there's a shortage of good EC's doing any type of work.

    so, you are good... ok... you do a SBUX with a crew of four
    guys or so. in the middle of nowhere, 250 miles from home.
    now, you do another 7 day dance of death 20 miles away,
    staggered by two days offset....

    and three days later, you start a third one..... and a week
    after than, you start the fourth one.... with the same crew.
    and you do this without stopping for eight months.

    a lot more than expresso beans gets ground up here.

    the quality of the install falls off? you're lucky that the
    foreman isn't up in a clock tower with a rifle.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,074
    Quote Originally Posted by nickelec View Post
    Maybe on a GFI breaker but you never know

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Next time you are in there plug in your pocket sized GFCI tester and press the test button - then you will know if there is a properly functioning GFCI.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,426
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Next time you are in there plug in your pocket sized GFCI tester and press the test button - then you will know if there is a properly functioning GFCI.
    Do it AFTER you purchase your coffee/food. The register might be connected to the same GFCI.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    6,071
    Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    Do it AFTER you purchase your coffee/food. The register might be connected to the same GFCI.
    nope. nothing that might interrupt power to the cash register is permitted.

    nothing. i think that the same strategy used on a fire pump is applied to the
    POS power. MI cable tapped ahead of the main. probably not even fused.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    4,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    nope. nothing that might interrupt power to the cash register is permitted.

    nothing. i think that the same strategy used on a fire pump is applied to the
    POS power. MI cable tapped ahead of the main. probably not even fused.


    Yes, but the cashier can bring it all down with a wrong keystroke. and the cheapie 8p8c plug on the solid cat5e is made for stranded cat6...

    You want to see bastardized electrical, check out your average older hotel.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •