Installing conduit vertically

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

I have had heard people say that it takes longer to install conduit in a riser shaft then it does horizontally across ceilings. If this is true then why doesn't NECA Labor it differently?I would have to assume it's because the labor is the same.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
First, I can't see why it would globally take longer. It would depend on so many other factors, but NECA doesn't really deal with nuance like you address. It takes longer installing conduit in the walls than above a T bar ceiling in general, but NECA doesn't make that distinction either.

kwired

Electron manager
There can be factors that make either one easy or difficult compared to the other. Every install has it's own set of factors.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
There can be factors that make either one easy or difficult compared to the other. Every install has it's own set of factors.

I agree. And since it can even be the day it is done, an estimator can't dwell on it. Yesterday you may have had super smooth sailing and last night they may have stocked the rooms with drywall in the middle of the floor you have to work around.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree. And since it can even be the day it is done, an estimator can't dwell on it. Yesterday you may have had super smooth sailing and last night they may have stocked the rooms with drywall in the middle of the floor you have to work around.
The drywall or other similar thing never happens:happyno:

I remember once I had a new home all ready to start pulling cable, I had holes all drilled (maybe just needed to drill an additional hole here or there when it is discovered while installing cable)and cleaned up my mess from layout and drillling to make room to lay out cables while installing. Place was fairly clean with little debris or materials laying around. Next day when I got there late after first taking care of some service calls, the windows had shown up and were installed and the guys already left, but left all their cardboard, wrapping, etc laying all over the place that I just cleaned up in preparation for pulling cables:rant: I threw all that crap outside and did not care if the wind took it away.

I know someone may comment that many places you don't install cable/conductor before the doors and windows are in or your copper may disappear overnight, I have never had that trouble thankfully, though I do pay closer attention to that possibility when working in more remote areas then I ever used to. A lot of farm work I do is just as subject if not more subject to copper thieves after installation then it is during construction though, nobody around to see the evidence as soon after it is done as there is during construction of some things.

Status
Not open for further replies.