Grandfather Code Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I do not know when exactly Section 314.16(C)(2) was introduced....but I doubt their is a manufacturers volume marking within it....But it is COOL looking I agree.

jumpshort

Open it up -- did they tap larger conductors? Like to see the inside.

It's a not so typical 20 amp circuit. I have a hard time believing that these condulet covers are listed for this use. I'm just curious if this is still allowed and if it ever was. I plan on visiting the NFPA web site and going through the older versions of the NEC, just thought someone might know off the top of their head.

Attachments

• IMG_3816.jpg
    IMG_3816.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 0

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
One has to be really talented to cut out a perfect opening for the receptacle and the switch. It seems to a manufactured cover.
Now, whether or not it is 20Amp protected is a different story. You amy have larger conductors but still 20Amp protection.

fmtjfw

The book stacks at West Virginia University Main Library are (were) wiresd with rigid conduit and the outlets and switches are installed in condulets.

jumpshort

One has to be really talented to cut out a perfect opening for the receptacle and the switch. It seems to a manufactured cover.
Now, whether or not it is 20Amp protected is a different story. You amy have larger conductors but still 20Amp protection.

It is protected by a 20 amp breaker and all of the conductors on this branch circuit are 12 AWG. The equipment grounding conductor stopped at this fitting and was terminated with the screw from the cover. That tells me that they used the raceway as the EGC but when this cover was removed, all bets were off. That's why you are required to bond all conductive materials together as stated in 250.6 (A)(3 thru 5). It may have been allowed at some time but I bet it isn't anymore. Not wired like this anyway.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Not quite the same thing as in the OP's picture but here is a condulet receptacle.

condulet_recpt_1.JPG

Roger

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
......The equipment grounding conductor stopped at this fitting and was terminated with the screw from the cover. That tells me that they used the raceway as the EGC but when this cover was removed, all bets were off. That's why you are required to bond all conductive materials together as stated in 250.6 (A)(3 thru 5). It may have been allowed at some time but I bet it isn't anymore. Not wired like this anyway.

Just connect the EGC to the conduit body and to the receptacle. Then you will be in compliance.

jap

Occupation
Electrician

Ditto that.

JAP>

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector

There are punches made for duplex receptacles.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
....The equipment grounding conductor stopped at this fitting and was terminated with the screw from the cover. That tells me that they used the raceway as the EGC but when this cover was removed, all bets were off. That's why you are required to bond all conductive materials together as stated in 250.6 (A)(3 thru 5). It may have been allowed at some time but I bet it isn't anymore. Not wired like this anyway.
I would say 250.146 would have, and still allows it.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
It's a not so typical 20 amp circuit. I have a hard time believing that these condulet covers are listed for this use. I'm just curious if this is still allowed and if it ever was. I plan on visiting the NFPA web site and going through the older versions of the NEC, just thought someone might know off the top of their head.
The MOD Dennis may know......I hear he was around during the edition that may have permitted that setup...lol....maybe 1920's or so...:lol:

sandsnow

So, is it a manufactured cover?

Status
Not open for further replies.