Temp service on a new home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am going to be wiring up a new home. The utility wiring will be underground to a pedestal meter with a disconnect breaker built into it. I was wondering if it was better 1. to go off the that disconnect breaker and out the bottom with seal tight of the meter pedestal to a temp panel or 2. put panel in basement and wire it up for use but just build a weather proof enclose around it until roof is installed? Thanks you.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My first step would be to check with the inspector in your jurisdiction. Often it is not allowed to use your permanent panel as a temporary.

John120/240

For temporary power I would use a 8 circuit weather proof panel mounted to a post with the meter. This is planted next to the transformer. GFCI's in Bell boxes w/bubble covers are mounted to sides of panel or underneath on post. Years ago it was common to use 12-2 Romex w/Male & Female cord caps in lieu of extension cords. This won't work for Todays installations.

Last edited:

electricalist

There are panels pre maid that can be bought as well as the meter base and the other items you may need to make a T pole,,these thing will familiar to the electrician and the AHJ . I think it a good idea to know what you will need for power to work on the house ,,if you wont need much its easy but if you have saws nail guns hole hogs compressors etc. then its something to consider, the other thing is the service for you temp power will get abused and mistreated ,,even if you were allowed to use the equipment you stated, you ll feel better when youre done and all the equipment is new.

Status
Not open for further replies.