Which oscillating multi-tool do you like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tx2step

Do most of you use an oscillating multi-tool to cut out holes in drywall, paneling, notching wood framing, etc?

What one do you think is the best (within a reasonable price)?

I've been looking at a Rockwell Sonicrafter F50 (4 amp, $139) and a Dewalt DWE315K (3 amp, $159). Both of those are corded models, and have LED lights to help you see what & where you're cutting.

BUT...it's hard not to really consider a cordless model for convenience (I think I'd be a lot more likely to use it). So I've also been looking at a Dewalt DCS355D1 cordless for $199, which also has an LED.

I think any of these 3 will probably work well, but I haven't used any of them. So I want to know what you guys that have used them think, or if there are other brands/models that you think are better.

How often do you guys use a multi-tool, and what do you mainly use it for?

Do the LED lights help?

If you didn't already own one, which multi-tool would you buy...and why?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't have a cordless wish I did.
Make sure the cooling fan does not blow the dust you are creating some do.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I don't own either but I have had many an opportunity to borrow the Fein (sp?) and some of the copycats.

If you want something that will work okay, any of the knock offs will do. If you want the best, Fein is the one get.

Cordless is handy for a quick hole in a soft surface like drywall or even plaster and lath, but if you have to cut wood, even worse granite, or make multiple cuts, batteries won't get you there.

tx2step

I was really hoping a cordless model would work well -- It'd be more convenient!

Fein came out with a 350 watt corded model last year, but I don't know how the reliability is working out with that. Anyone have any experience with it?

The Fein doesn't have any LED lights...LEDs would seem to be useful if your'e cutting in a dim area like inside a cabinet?

cadpoint

I kind of think about it this way that if you need such a special tool you might as well
have a cord connection to us it.

I bought the knock off copy tool at Harbor Freight, I have no problem with it.
It has worked to my satisfaction, I did buy all the add-on blades.

:thumbsup:

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I don't own either but I have had many an opportunity to borrow the Fein (sp?) and some of the copycats.

If you want something that will work okay, any of the knock offs will do. If you want the best, Fein is the one get.

Cordless is handy for a quick hole in a soft surface like drywall or even plaster and lath, but if you have to cut wood, even worse granite, or make multiple cuts, batteries won't get you there.

what makes the fein better?

tx2step

I kind of think about it this way that if you need such a special tool you might as well
have a cord connection to us it.

I bought the knock off copy tool at Harbor Freight, I have no problem with it.
It has worked to my satisfaction, I did buy all the add-on blades.

:thumbsup:

It doesn't sound like you use yours very often? The previous place I worked, I used a Bosch quite a bit. It was a corded model & worked pretty well, but I think a cordless would be more convenient...if they work OK?

Is the one from Harbor Freight a single speed model, or variable speed?

What brand of add-on blades did you get? Do they work OK and hold up pretty well?

sparkyrick

I'd buy cordless for sure and one that would work with your existing cordless tool batteries. I have all Milwaukee cordless stuff and they make a nice M18 oscillating tool.

ceknight

Do most of you use an oscillating multi-tool to cut out holes in drywall, paneling, notching wood framing, etc?

What one do you think is the best (within a reasonable price)?

I use mine almost daily. Had a Fein, it disappeared and I replaced it with 2 Bosches, both corded and 12v cordless, because that's what my toolmonger had in stock the day I went in to replace the Fein. The Bosches are perfectly capable for serious work, the corded one is hands-down better but there are times when nothing but cordless will do.

But......I have my eye on the new Fein. I hear they redesigned it recently and it won't vibrate your arm off any more. Whether I get that or the Festool will depend on how deranged I'm feeling when that day comes. :)

cadpoint

It doesn't sound like you use yours very often?
No not really
The previous place I worked, I used a Bosch quite a bit. It was a corded model & worked pretty well, but I think a cordless would be more convenient...if they work OK?

It works fine and is a one speed tool
Is the one from Harbor Freight a single speed model, or variable speed?

What brand of add-on blades did you get? Do they work OK and hold up pretty well?
I bought the package that has various blades.
I believe, I've used it more around the house than on the job!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
what makes the fein better?

For the first 17 years from the invention of the oscillating multi-tool the Fein was better because they held the patent and had a monopoly. :)

Once other manufacturers got into the game, Fein had the advantage of those years of research and customer experience.
At this point they still have a marketing edge on the professional side, as well as a good design but with probably overpriced blades and other accessories.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have the Milwaukee 18v cordless and the Fien. The Fien is much smoother and refined, the Milwaukee will vibrate your arm off after awhile. My Fien saw is probably 15 years old at least and never an issue with it.
Blades are expensive no matter what you do, carbide seem to last the longest, we cut a lot of plaster and wood lathe.

John120/240

For the first 17 years from the invention of the oscillating multi-tool the Fein was better because they held the patent and had a monopoly. :)

Once other manufacturers got into the game, Fein had the advantage of those years of research and customer experience.
At this point they still have a marketing edge on the professional side, as well as a good design but with probably overpriced blades and other accessories.

Better cut, less blade wobble, better blades, toolless blade changes.

Ditto on both post. I have the Fein corded model & couldn't be happier. It has seen lots of kitchen island receptacles/switches cut in to wood. Some lath & plaster, sheetrock, T-111 siding.

tx2step

I went with Fein

I went with Fein

Thanks to everyone for all the input!!!I

I decided to go with the newer 350 watt Fein model, the FMM 350Q. I bought the 'Start-in-bag" kit -- A lot of the accessories that come in the bigger kits looked like stuff I'd never use.

I went with the Fein because I'll be using it a lot and want a high quality tool that will work well & last.

What blades have you found that work the best and lasts the longest for cutting sheetrock?

What about for notching wood?

What about cutting off nails, screws, etc?

Where do you get the best prices on blades?

Thanks again for everyone's input!

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I couldn't have said this better. Two weeks after I bought my Fein their patent ran out and several mfr's came out with a knock-off. I tried a friend's Rockwell when it first came out and couldn't get the blades to stay on the tool. The captive bolt kept coming loose. Anyway, if you don't plan on using the tool that often there's no point in spending more than you have to on it. But I must say, when I'm busy I would bet that I take that tool off my truck 4-5 times a week. I'm very happy with the Fein tool.

Where they get you is in buying the blades. Just some suggestions
  • Look on E-bay for multi-tool blades. The Japanese rough cut (aggressive) blades work great and they're relatively inexpensive
  • If you cam team up with a few fellow contractors and buy in bulk, Imperial Blades usually have some good deals http://imperialblades.com/
  • I have (3) other contractors that all use the tool and I usually buy $1K worth of blades (usually in packs of 10) at a time and we split them up amongst us.
  • If you haven't read the instructions for the tool or blade the most important piece of advice I can give is make sure you don't "plunge-cut" with the blade, you'll burn it out fast. For example, if you're cutting out the back of a cabinet for a microwave receptacle, first score the outline of the cutout with the tool and then run the blade back and forth until you're through. You'll get much more life out of the blade.
  • If you purchase the carbide tipped blade I would use that to cut through sheet rock and plaster (it actually grinds rather than cuts). If you have wood lath behind plaster use the carbide until you reach the lath and then change the blade. I've used the same carbide blade and made almost 100 cuts through hardy-plank siding
  • The diamond blade is expensive (about $50-75.00) but will pay for itself the first time you have to cut through bathroom or kitchen tile

Hope this helps

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
i have the Milwaukee M12 2426-20 tool, needed it to slice some baseboard moldings to make room for some cabinets that went up flush against the wall. havent used it since then but it did what i needed it to do. the bosch blades fit it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.