Condensation in outside disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
What kind of sealant should be used to keep warm air from entering the conduit between inside panel and outside disconnect? Some water is condensing in the outside disconnect. Thank you.

Jgreagori

I don't think the code is specific on what type of sealant to use, but I have used duct seal, which is like a putty that you can tuck between the conductors to give you a good vapor/draft seal.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
We use duct seal inside of the panel to seal the conduit.

20121101_103917.jpg

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
what about Great Stuff fire block spray foam (orange can)? its ok for use on wires.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Duct seal because it can be removed if needed, spray foams are a pain to remove.

in post #4, how often would that duct seal be removed? using spray foam in minimum fashion still allows it to seal and be removed fairly easy, it kinda just peels away. but sure, i agree, spray foam will be a touch harder to remove if that time ever comes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Spray foam would work but I find duct seal to be less messy and it lasts forever in the truck. :)

FionaZuppa

Occupation
duct seal is probably better, spray foam works but you are left with oozing tube which unless you clean it out with lacquer thinner it hardens in the tube and makes the rest of the can useless, so wasting some $$ with spray foam.

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing wrong code wise packing some concrete mix in the end of the raceway AFAIK unless there is something mixed in that is harmful to conductor insulation, but anyone that ever wants to pull anything else in that raceway will not have anything good to say about you.

If you ever do much hazardous location work and need to use sealing fittings - you are not pulling anything else in those raceways either. You can remove and replace the seal fitting but will also need to replace conductors when doing so.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

If you ever do much hazardous location work and need to use sealing fittings - you are not pulling anything else in those raceways either. You can remove and replace the seal fitting but will also need to replace conductors when doing so.
I have never tried it, but rumor has it that typical Chico sealing compound can be softened with ordinary household vinegar.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I remember when they used to let us bundle the wires together like that to make the panel look good. Now they require them to stay loose in my area.

If that's the case then someone needs to school them on the NEC derating rules. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.