Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 28 of 28

Thread: 210.52(C)(3)

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Aspen, Colo
    Posts
    1,972
    Quote Originally Posted by mwm1752 View Post
    Which rendition is correct?

    NEC 2017 210.52 (C) Countertops and Work Surfaces.(3) Peninsular Countertop Spaces. At least one receptacle outlet shall be installed at each peninsular countertop long dimension space with a long dimension of 600 mm (24 in.) or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm (12 in.) or greater. A peninsular countertop is measured from the connected perpendicular wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    I'm still not seeing that. I looked at both the code paragraph and the handbook commentary.

    To me, it looks like a receptacle is required on the long dimension. That sounds like a receptacle on the side of the island. One on the counter top wall wouldn't work, and one on the end of the island wouldn't work.

    I must still be missing something, because everyone else seems to agree with you.

    I'm sure this will make it clear as mud -- "long dimension space" - "from the connected perpendicular wall." I had redrawn in the left illustration to match the wording in the 2017 NEC .

    Therefore only 1 recept is required for the entire continuous pennisular in which the connecting point is the wall , the long dimesion is measured from wall to far end of the pennisular. According to the wording I would believe that the placement for the receptacle can be placed anywhere around the pennisular counter top & be compliant(end/front edge/wall/ back edge) as long as it is within NEC parameters.
    You could have a case in which the first wall recept is 4' measured from the back side of the pennisular counter top along the wall. per the NEC wording.

    The right illustration shows the connecting point at the wall front edge counter top which would require a recept for the wall counter top plus another for the pennisular, this is the illustration in the NEC 2017 handbook
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,512
    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    I'm still not seeing that. I looked at both the code paragraph and the handbook commentary.

    To me, it looks like a receptacle is required on the long dimension. That sounds like a receptacle on the side of the island. One on the counter top wall wouldn't work, and one on the end of the island wouldn't work.

    I must still be missing something, because everyone else seems to agree with you.
    2014 NEC says "A peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge."

    2017 changed that to "A peninsular countertop is measured from the connected perpendicular wall."

    So in 2017 the peninsula starts at the wall - we only need one outlet at the peninsula whether it be 3 feet long or 100 feet long, and one on the wall fits the requirement.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,512
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    2014 NEC says "A peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge."

    2017 changed that to "A peninsular countertop is measured from the connected perpendicular wall."

    So in 2017 the peninsula starts at the wall - we only need one outlet at the peninsula whether it be 3 feet long or 100 feet long, and one on the wall fits the requirement.
    Too late to edit - 2014 any outlet on the wall is not serving the peninsula as it doesn't start until past the connecting edge.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,734
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    2014 NEC says "A peninsular countertop is measured from the connecting edge."

    2017 changed that to "A peninsular countertop is measured from the connected perpendicular wall."

    So in 2017 the peninsula starts at the wall - we only need one outlet at the peninsula whether it be 3 feet long or 100 feet long, and one on the wall fits the requirement.
    Ok, now I understand. But it still doesn't seem to me like the photo on the left has an outlet on the long dimension.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    18,377
    Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    Ok, now I understand. But it still doesn't seem to me like the photo on the left has an outlet on the long dimension.
    It does not have an outlet on the long dimension. The code does not require that. It does have an outlet on the peninsula, which is what is required.
    The statement that the long dimension of the peninsula extends to the wall defines what is and is not part of the peninsula.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    It does not have an outlet on the long dimension. The code does not require that.
    Regardless of what the intent behind the 2017 change was, the phrase "installed at each peninsular countertop long dimension space" arguably means that the receptacle has to be on one of the long dimensions of the peninsula, not on one of the short dimensions. I say arguably because the section is very unclear and can be interpreted both ways.

    Cheers, Wayne

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    32,348
    Quote Originally Posted by wwhitney View Post
    Regardless of what the intent behind the 2017 change was, the phrase "installed at each peninsular countertop long dimension space" arguably means that the receptacle has to be on one of the long dimensions of the peninsula, not on one of the short dimensions. I say arguably because the section is very unclear and can be interpreted both ways.

    Cheers, Wayne
    You are absolutely correct and that is how the cmp panel explained it. They also stated that this was a big screw up.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    6,734
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    It does not have an outlet on the long dimension. The code does not require that. It does have an outlet on the peninsula, which is what is required.
    The statement that the long dimension of the peninsula extends to the wall defines what is and is not part of the peninsula.
    I get what everyone is saying now. It says the outlet should be on the "long dimension space" and not just on the "long dimension", and that space includes the space along the wall.

    I still think the intent is pretty obvious.

    For once, the handbook authors are more correct than the code itself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •