Thread: Fire alarm smoke detectors in multi level ceilings

Fire alarm smoke detectors in multi level ceilings

Hi!

We're designing a lobby where the ceiling is multi level. There are pools for hidden lights. The lowest level of ceiling is at +4.55 AFF. Then there is a higher area in the middle which is at +8.30 AFF.
    The detectors on the lowest level of the ceiling do provide the required coverage. Do I then need to install smoke detectors on the higher levels (+8.30 AFF) of the ceilings?

I have attached a reference plan and a section so it is easier to understand.

Thanks all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	18178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	18179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	18180  

Quote Originally Posted by Gilf View Post
    Hi!

We're designing a lobby where the ceiling is multi level. There are pools for hidden lights. The lowest level of ceiling is at +4.55 AFF. Then there is a higher area in the middle which is at +8.30 AFF.
    The detectors on the lowest level of the ceiling do provide the required coverage. Do I then need to install smoke detectors on the higher levels (+8.30 AFF) of the ceilings?

Thanks all!
    Where is the smoke most likely to go? Hot air rises. Try to get installation instructions for the brand you are using. They have alot of good information that will help you.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

NFPA 72 has lots of info. about installing detectors on ceilings with various levels, pockets, beams, headers, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilf View Post
    Hi!

Thanks all!
    I assume the ceiling heights are in meters? Just to clarify for us metrically-challenged Americans.