Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MI- Generator

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Yes I was referring to 08'.

Thanks.
    I just noticed; where are you doing work to the '08 version? You're location tag says NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    I just noticed; where are you doing work to the '08 version? You're location tag says NJ.
    Work being done in NYC

compliance with 700.10(D)(1)

In situations such as this where sprinklers are used to comply with 700.10(D)(1) I wonder what constitutes sprinkler protection. The reason I ask is that in most situations the space where the feeder is running, say, above a suspended ceiling is not sprinklered-only the space below. Does this meet the requirement of 700.10(D)(1)(1)?
    We have a similar job as this and are not sure of the answer. There seems to be argument both ways on this.

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    In situations such as this where sprinklers are used to comply with 700.10(D)(1) I wonder what constitutes sprinkler protection. The reason I ask is that in most situations the space where the feeder is running, say, above a suspended ceiling is not sprinklered-only the space below. Does this meet the requirement of 700.10(D)(1)(1)?
    We have a similar job as this and are not sure of the answer. There seems to be argument both ways on this.
    You would have to go to NFPA 13 to decipher what "fully sprinklered" would mean in any given situation. If the area above a suspended ceiling is for "other envrionmental air" (plenum) but otherwise is non-combustible, you don't need sprinklers in the cavity. If the T.O.C. is wood joists and decking, now you need it. You wouldn't put sprinklers in the wall cavities, for instance. The sprinklers are designed to keep the fire away from the cable, not pour water on the cable directly.

If you can figure out what class of building and occupancy he has from his OP, you are WAY better at this than I am.
    I narrowed it down to just about any building in NYC that has MI cable would have sprinklers.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

You would have to go to NFPA 13 to decipher what "fully sprinklered" would mean in any given situation. If the area above a suspended ceiling is for "other envrionmental air" (plenum) but otherwise is non-combustible, you don't need sprinklers in the cavity. If the T.O.C. is wood joists and decking, now you need it. You wouldn't put sprinklers in the wall cavities, for instance. The sprinklers are designed to keep the fire away from the cable, not pour water on the cable directly.
    Yes, I see your logic and think I agree. In other words, if the building meets the requirements as a fully sprinklered building, then it is "fully protected by an approved automatic fire suppression system" per the NEC. I think your wall cavity example makes the point well-you wouldn't put sprinklers in a wall cavity just because it had an Art. 700 feeder it. The same would be true for the unsprinklered space in a ceiling as that may be no different than a wall cavity in many situations.