Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: MI- Generator

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,578

    MI- Generator

    Have a note from EE that says all generator control wiresbetween generator and ATS must be run in MI cable and to refer to NEC 700.9. Ican’t find anything specifically that requires these conductors to be run in MIor 2 hour rated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Have a note from EE that says all generator control wiresbetween generator and ATS must be run in MI cable and to refer to NEC 700.9. Ican’t find anything specifically that requires these conductors to be run in MIor 2 hour rated.
    In the 2014 edition it's found at 700.10(D)(3) which refers to 700.10(D)(1) (1)-(5).

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,578
    Thanks, I see. Does RGS conduit give a 1 hour rating. Seems like those conductors between ATS and genset only need 1 hour rating or be run in sprinkler protected area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks, I see. Does RGS conduit give a 1 hour rating. Seems like those conductors between ATS and genset only need 1 hour rating or be run in sprinkler protected area.
    In general, RGS will not provide any additional fire protection as far as the requirements are concerned, unless it is part of a listed assembly for that purpose.

    By what you sent it looks like you are on the 2008 edition of the NEC. Is this correct?

    It looks like if the control wiring is run entirely in a sprinklered area(s) you would be OK. Depending on the situation and the number of conductors you might have to run, it might actually be cheaper to install sprinklers than comply with any of the other methods listed.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,531
    Wouldn't this type of building always have sprinklers?
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    New York, 40.7514,-73.9925
    Posts
    4,309
    Are you serving a fire pump? Be sure to consider 695.6
    Ron

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    Are you serving a fire pump? Be sure to consider 695.6
    Yes those POWER conductor are definitely MI cable.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    In general, RGS will not provide any additional fire protection as far as the requirements are concerned, unless it is part of a listed assembly for that purpose.

    By what you sent it looks like you are on the 2008 edition of the NEC. Is this correct?

    It looks like if the control wiring is run entirely in a sprinklered area(s) you would be OK. Depending on the situation and the number of conductors you might have to run, it might actually be cheaper to install sprinklers than comply with any of the other methods listed.
    Yes I was referring to 08'.

    Thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,556
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Wouldn't this type of building always have sprinklers?
    If you can figure out what class of building and occupancy he has from his OP, you are WAY better at this than I am.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,578
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    Wouldn't this type of building always have sprinklers?
    Yes double checked fire protection drawings and entire floor is sprinkler protected.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •