Thread: Smoke/heat detectors in MRI rooms question

Smoke/heat detectors in MRI rooms question

Are there many manufacturers who do not have the magnetic reed test switches in their smoke/heat detectors? Apparently this can cause issues in MRI rooms (imagine that). We are looking to revise our standard specifications to prevent future issues. So far we have a recommendation for a single type of System Sensor smoke detector. Anyone else run into this? I know we could use a Vesda system for smoke and a linear heat cable for thermal but that seems overkill for a single room.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigrig View Post
    Are there many manufacturers who do not have the magnetic reed test switches in their smoke/heat detectors? Apparently this can cause issues in MRI rooms (imagine that). We are looking to revise our standard specifications to prevent future issues. So far we have a recommendation for a single type of System Sensor smoke detector. Anyone else run into this? I know we could use a Vesda system for smoke and a linear heat cable for thermal but that seems overkill for a single room.
    Unless you have a relay base, most addressable smoke detectors use solid state devices, no mechanical switches. I may have a Siemens HFP-11 at home. I'll open it up and take a look.

Guess I am still a little old-school when it comes to terminology. Reed or Hall Effect solid state, both sense magnetic fields. But I should use the right term for modern devices! Thank you for looking. I actually have that device shop drawing in front of me now (have a renovation project with the XLS control panel). It does not say anything about a magnetic test sensor so that may work.

Fortunately most projects we deal with are totally sprinklered, so no devices are required in the room. However we do have clients that want either a preaction system or require smoke detection as an owner standard for such areas. Thinking about it I am surprised we do not have more preaction systems being installed in such areas with really expensive pieces of equipment.