GEC Raceway

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigglad

Need to get a 3/0 GEC from a main disconnect to a 2" water pipe and building steel.
My disconnect is located outside the building and would like to stub it into the building with 1" Ridged or EMT above a suspended ceiling. (cant use pvc)
Planning on using a single 3/0 from the disconnect into the building then tapping off to building steel then onto the water pipe.
I know I need to Bond each end of the raceway, not sure what to do at the disconnect, I believe the bonding jumper to the conduit still has to be sized off of 250.66. I have not had any luck finding a bonding bushing big enough for 3/0 on a 1" conduit.
Am I going about this right? Any ideas
Thanks

Smart $

Esteemed Member
JMO, as long as the conduit is adequately bonded [see 250.92(B)], no additional bonding is required on the disconnect end. My preference is with a bonding locknut.

iwire

Staff member
I agree with the guys above have said and will just add that you should keep in mind you can use building steel as a conductor to reach the water line.

Bonding_Jumpers.JPG

bigglad

GEC Raceway

Still not sure I am still using the 2002 NEC, in 250.102 C it says that the GEC for the raceway has to be the same size or larger than the enclosed GEC, then I have Mike Holts 2002 Grounding and Bonding book and on page 45 there is a graphic that says the same thing, I would like to just use a grounding locknut or bushing but the way I read this is that it has to be 3/0 (the same size of my GEC). Thinking about using a grounding bushing and removing the lug that comes with it and using one big enough for 3/0, would I then meet code?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Still not sure I am still using the 2002 NEC, in 250.102 C it says that the GEC for the raceway has to be the same size or larger than the enclosed GEC, then I have Mike Holts 2002 Grounding and Bonding book and on page 45 there is a graphic that says the same thing, I would like to just use a grounding locknut or bushing but the way I read this is that it has to be 3/0 (the same size of my GEC). Thinking about using a grounding bushing and removing the lug that comes with it and using one big enough for 3/0, would I then meet code?

Your method is correct.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are many styles here is another. Click here
g-grgpc4-1-12-q--ind1-O-MED-ENG.jpg

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I have a question, I understand how you do the enclose side of the rigid conduit...how do you bond the other side of the conduit? :?

They work great for a piece of ridgid stubbed out of the deck going to a ground bar. They would be bonded the same way on the other side when they come out of the deck. The violation is technically the PVC in between the two pieces of ridgid stubbed up, because you can't bond both sides of the 12" ridgid.

bigglad

I have a question, I understand how you do the enclose side of the rigid conduit...how do you bond the other side of the conduit? :?

Planning on using a Burndy water pipe clamp 3/0 on 3/4" (used EMT) then a 3/0-3/0 C type compression connector to the GEC, also ended up using a Myers hub inside the disconnect, hope I am in compliance with the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.