Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: non Linear loads

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Brain fade. It happens at my age.
    But I think we are drifting off the original topic.
    Drifting off topic provides for some the most entertaining reading on this forum!

Quote Originally Posted by retirede View Post
    Drifting off topic provides for some the most entertaining reading on this forum!
    I've been censured for doing so more than once.
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Think again. If a half-wave rectifier is used, with the neutral as, for example, the negative side of the DC output, then the direction of the current in the neutral will be the same from both legs, just 180 degrees out of phase.
    Depends on the polarity of the diodes. With equal loads on each half, you could bypass the neutral altogether.
    But we are discussing PC supplies and it isn't likely that their PSUs will be half wave rectifiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
    Depends on the polarity of the diodes. With equal loads on each half, you could bypass the neutral altogether.
    But we are discussing PC supplies and it isn't likely that their PSUs will be half wave rectifiers.
    But with switch mode power supplies, don't they have like controlled rectification passing only current at various points in the cycle then shutting off at zero crossing. If when they pass current is not equal in magnitude with the other line's load current at that instant, then the 'average' neutral current is greater than the 'average' current of each line.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Smart $ View Post
    But with switch mode power supplies, don't they have like controlled rectification passing only current at various points in the cycle then shutting off at zero crossing. If when they pass current is not equal in magnitude with the other line's load current at that instant, then the 'average' neutral current is greater than the 'average' current of each line.
    Most I have dealt with have full wave rectification.
    I readily accept that I am not an expert in that field.

This whole variation was proposed more as a theoretical oddity contradicting overstated generalizations than as a practical problem.