afci gfci question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wiring a 5200sqft home. 2800 upstairs (3br, 2ba, full kitch), 2400 finished basement (2br,1ba,full kitch). This will be the first home I've wired that will be inspected under the 2014 code. I'm confused on where I must have dual gfci/afci protection. I've wired the master br lights and the mast bath lights on the same circuit. Do they have to be on a afci/gfci breaker. Also, in the kitchen....I have 2 sabc's that supply only counter top rec's. Do they have to be afci and gfci or just gfci protected. Does the mwave, fridge, and freezer have to be dual protected or just afci if not within 6ft of a sink. Garage lights and outside lights on one circuit......do they have to be afci and gfci or just gfci?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Almost everything in the house except bathrooms and unfinished basements need afci. Gfci is now required for the dishwasher and of course any receptacles in the kitchen and even the refrigerator if the receptacle is within 6' of the sink.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Wouldn't as long as the switches controlling those lights don't happen to be in the areas required to have afci

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
As far as dual purpose AFCI/GFCI breakers, I just use them for garbage disposal and dishwasher circuits but that's just for convenience/aesthetics and use GFCI receptacles for majority of all other spaces requiring them.

mkgrady

As far as dual purpose AFCI/GFCI breakers, I just use them for garbage disposal and dishwasher circuits but that's just for convenience/aesthetics and use GFCI receptacles for majority of all other spaces requiring them.
Can we agree that a hard wired disposal does not need gfci protection?

kwired

Electron manager
Can we agree that a hard wired disposal does not need gfci protection?
I can.

I also can agree it isn't all that clear whether the 2014 NEC intends a cord and plug connected disposer to be GFCI protected, 2011 or before shouldn't need to be for most typical installations anyway.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
All indications so far are that regardless of whether it's cord/plug connected or hard wired it doesn't matter still needs GFCI protection. And of course afci protection 2014 NEC.
I think the article states AFCI and GFCI protection to outlet serving dishwasher or garbage disposal. Outlet meaning connection point not receptacle. So no exception just because you decided to hard wire it.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Use combo AFCI/GFCI breakers in the kitchen and you will not need to buy GFCI receptacles.:thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
All indications so far are that regardless of whether it's cord/plug connected or hard wired it doesn't matter still needs GFCI protection. And of course afci protection 2014 NEC.
I think the article states AFCI and GFCI protection to outlet serving dishwasher or garbage disposal. Outlet meaning connection point not receptacle. So no exception just because you decided to hard wire it.

2014 NEC 210.8(D) was added and mandates GFCI protection for dishwashers installed in dwelling unit locations - title suggests they need to be in the kitchen and that has been debated some but nothing states a disposer must be on a GFCI.

(A)(7) states where the receptacle is located within 6 feet of the outside edge of the sink - but gives no details of whether they intended to include a receptacle in the cabinet below or if cabinet doors are deemed sufficient separation to consider this a completely different area and not within six feet of the edge of the sink - this has been challenged some with no general consensus on what the rule is AFAIK. But if the disposer is hardwired, there isn't anything to challenge - nothing specifically requires a hardwired disposer to have GFCI protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.