Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 7 Switches to control same light fixtures in large room

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    10

    7 Switches to control same light fixtures in large room

    I have a large room with 7 doors and would like a switch by each door to turn the lights on/off. How many 3-way, 4-way, etc. switches will I need to do this? A wiring diagram would also be helpful if possible. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,170
    2 3 ways and 5 -4way.
    You might want to consider electronic switching, Masters and remotes to minimize all the wiring.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by rc7288 View Post
    I have a large room with 7 doors and would like a switch by each door to turn the lights on/off. How many 3-way, 4-way, etc. switches will I need to do this? A wiring diagram would also be helpful if possible. Thanks.
    The 3-ways go on the ends. The 4-ways are all in the middle, where the diagram only shows 1.

    https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...ram&fr=yfp-t-s
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    The 3-ways go on the ends. The 4-ways are all in the middle, where the diagram only shows 1.

    https://images.search.yahoo.com/sear...ram&fr=yfp-t-s

    I don't think that is a code compliant method for residential anymore, You need to have the neutral at the switch box or a way to add it in conduit. I believe.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    I don't think that is a code compliant method for residential anymore, You need to have the neutral at the switch box or a way to add it in conduit. I believe.
    It's subtle, but the diagram does show that the neutral is in each cable at each box.

    This is better.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    It's subtle, but the diagram does show that the neutral is in each cable at each box.

    This is better.
    The second one is better as the first has the white re identified and used as a hot.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Williamsburg, VA
    Posts
    3,864
    2 3 ways as first and last, 5 4 ways in the middle. See post #5, just add another 4 ways to it.

    Must be one heck of a room to want 7 switches controlling the same lights.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    5,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierrasparky View Post
    2 3 ways and 5 -4way.
    You might want to consider electronic switching, Masters and remotes to minimize all the wiring.
    "You want to consider electronic switching, Masters and remotes to minimize all the wiring."

    i fixed your sentence. i'm crediting your account 1 word.

    seriously. 7 lutron picos will get it done. you can even do dimming.

    register picos with master. peel and stick on walls. smile. go home.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    "You want to consider electronic switching, Masters and remotes to minimize all the wiring."

    i fixed your sentence. i'm crediting your account 1 word.

    seriously. 7 lutron picos will get it done. you can even do dimming.

    register picos with master. peel and stick on walls. smile. go home.
    Wow 1 word credit. How many do I need for a prize?







    boy am I leaving myself open on that one!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •