Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square D breakers in GE panel

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    But what if having the wrong breakers installed has caused excessive heating where they connect to the bus? Replacing with correct breakers but not the bus still leaves a compromised condition doesn't it?

The electrician in me says what OP has is probably just fine.

The salesman in me says better replace the entire panel and all the breakers

I had two service calls yesterday both had failed bus to breaker connections. Both probably installed in 1980's. One was a Crouse-Hinds panel, with Crouse-Hinds breaker. The other was QO panel and QO breaker - but one of those they made back then that had aluminum bus which seem prone to such failures.
    If a failure happened I agree, replace the whole thing. In this case he specifically said there were no problems, he was just asking if it's appropriate or not.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    If a failure happened I agree, replace the whole thing. In this case he specifically said there were no problems, he was just asking if it's appropriate or not.
    And it is only inappropriate because the different components have not gone through testing to see if they are usable together, not because they absolutely are not usable together.

I find it a little hard to believe Square D hasn't done some testing of the Homeline being used in competetitor's panels, and same from others, and possibly made some changes if they saw any issues. They may not have gotten it listed or classified by any NRTL, but they probably have done some testing of their own.

Would not surprise me one bit if one were to do some evaluations to find where a particular unit tests out better then the OEM that is supposed to work in a particular panel, especially on some discontinued items that are still out there.

Ok, a little research finds that in fact, HomeLine breakers are NOT classified for use in any competitive panels.
    http://www.schneider-electric.us/en/faqs/FA129931/
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

Quote Originally Posted by Jraef View Post
    Oh I KNOW that Schneider has tested and classified the HomeLine breakers in competitor's panels, that was their original reason for releasing them, after Siemens and Eaton both released a classified version of their breakers that can go into QO panels. The question is, did Schneider test the HomeLine breakers in that SPECIFIC panel from GE? It's possible to find out, but if it takes an hour, that's likely more than the value of some GE breakers.
    So with what you just said there, if you bought a "classified" breaker, it still is only classified for specific panels it was tested for and not necessarily all panels of the particular product line it may appear to be classified for?

I think for the manufacturers the fun of that game sort of went away some since the AFCI came about, as there was more profit potential in the AFCI's.