Keyless Lamp Holders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I will add that I have never heard of anyone get called on this but when I was asked I like to give the article info. When I read it I was like-- yikes-- this needs to be changed only because someday someone may get hit on it. Heck I couldn't have 4 keyless in a crawl space in this scenario. :lol:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Well here is something I never realized. I wonder if that means we could use 300 watts for the calculation?

410.103 Bases, Incandescent Lamps. An incandescent lamp for general use on lighting branch circuits shall not be equipped with a medium base if rated over 300 watts, or with a mogul base if rated over 1500 watts. Special bases or other devices shall be used for over 1500 watts.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I think its time for Dennis to do what he does best, send in a code proposal. I could see someone getting hit for a basement, attic or mechanical room. I know for a fact in commercial properties elevator pits and mechanical closets will have keyless sockets and yet have to see anyone calc out at 660 va. Generally we assume 100 watts at most. I have seen some 300 before CFLs, but it was kind of a given considering the size of space.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Hey, as long as the wire size matches the OCPD, who cares? Let the OCPD do its' job if somebody overloads the circuit.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Ok, in commercial construction, we use the figure of 180va per yoke for receptacles giving us 13 per a 20A circuit. What if somebody installed five 1500 watt cord connected heaters on one circuit. Is this not the same scenario?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Ok, in commercial construction, we use the figure of 180va per yoke for receptacles giving us 13 per a 20A circuit. What if somebody installed five 1500 watt cord connected heaters on one circuit. Is this not the same scenario?

Yes but we cannot control that.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Exactly my point, Dennis. Why is it compliant in one situation but not in a similar situation. I totally respect the NEC and it's contributors but sometimes the anality ( new word ) of some requirements are hard to digest.

Status
Not open for further replies.