Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do you install this light?

How do you install this light?

Anybody know how to install this thing? My client handed me a bag of them. It has a low voltage transformer. Not sure where the transformer goes. It needs a j-box for the power wiring. Can those leads go in a j-box? Is the whole thing supposed to go in a j-box?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Anybody know how to install this thing? My client handed me a bag of them. It has a low voltage transformer. Not sure where the transformer goes. It needs a j-box for the power wiring. Can those leads go in a j-box? Is the whole thing supposed to go in a j-box?
    Are those retrofits for can lights? If so the transformer would go in the can space and the wires would connect in the can j-box.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Are those retrofits for can lights? If so the transformer would go in the can space and the wires would connect in the can j-box.
    No instructions. No packaging. They handed them to me just like you see it. There are not cans in this place. It's being renovated. The concrete ceiling has furring on it and will be drywalled. About 3/4" space to work with. I'm trying to convince them to make more space. Concrete is at 8' so not much space at all. Condos built for Hobbits I think.

I had asked the same question recently and not got much good in the way of reply, in my case told customer to send back and we installed Lithonia wafers instead

Also no instructions and maybe even no brand name, sorta wish I'd looked closer for UL marking
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

No instructions. No packaging.
    that's how the ones I saw came, customer didn't lose, I opened package from Amazon
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Either a jbox above the hard lid, and a hole like a retro can. Or gut an existing can and use the jbox and frame of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Are those retrofits for can lights?
    probably not, those spring clips attach to ceiling, not can light housing
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

We used a number of them in eye doctor office lately.. acoustical ceiling works good. Wired tails into 4 squares. Those are the newest versions we got from rep.. we figured handy boxes secured as best we could.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

3/4 inch furring would not seem to even give enough room for the transformer. And with concrete no way to enlarge the cavity.
    If no UL marking that you can verify, dump them. If they have a marking you may be able to track down more info through UL.
    Possibly the black springs hold them in the drywall opening?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A week ago, the EXACT same thing happened to me. They were not UL Listed, and I remember they operated at a higher voltage than I expected. Pretty much impossible to make them up to code with the short leads they give you, and that's after ignoring the lack of listing. They don't dim, they don't mount very well, they make a lot of heat. I'd have them send them back.