Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arc faults tripping after wiring pump

Chuck conductors in a drill and turn them until they are so tight that you trip on short circuit/ground fault because you damaged the insulation.

It will no longer be an AFCI issue that is causing tripping.

twisted pair is a crude ez way to help keep Rf noise out. if a VFD is superimposing Rf noise directly onto the wiring the twisted pair may help slightly.

other devices tripping sounds to me like a resonant freq. a scope with FFT will help identify the noise.

some wraps of the wires to form small inductor will also help. w/o proper testing the best you get is try and see.

any update?

I've never heard of the tight twisting method of correcting this problem but it's good advice if it actually works. First thing I would do is remove the pump and see if that corrects the problem. If not, I would also check to see if there is a ham radio operator in the area. There are you-tube videos on this on the internet. If you key up a mic and if your antenna is fairly close to the breaker panel (could be a neighbor) it will trip all the AFCI breakers.

Had a situation like this in a condo Bldg. In Jersey City, NJ with GFCI breakers. Any time the guards on duty would make their rounds and they reported in via Wilkie-talkie it would trip all the GFCI breakers in the panel that contained wiring for ice melt systems.