PV MODULE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A LIFE EXPECTENCE OF ROOF MODULES ? I AM ASKING ABOUT 480V PANELS INSTALLED ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO. WHEN ARE THEY NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO KEEP IN SERVICE ? WHAT DETERMINES THE NEED TO HAVE THEM REPLACED ?

THANKS FOR YOUR REPONSE.
PS. I DO NOT KNOW MUCH AT ALL OF PV SYSTEMS .

69gp

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A LIFE EXPECTENCE OF ROOF MODULES ? I AM ASKING ABOUT 480V PANELS INSTALLED ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO. WHEN ARE THEY NOT COST EFFECTIVE TO KEEP IN SERVICE ? WHAT DETERMINES THE NEED TO HAVE THEM REPLACED ?

THANKS FOR YOUR REPONSE.
PS. I DO NOT KNOW MUCH AT ALL OF PV SYSTEMS .

almost knocked me over with those big caps.

Check the back of the panel for the manufacturer. get all the details, size wattage, SN or take a picture. Try and make contact with them to see what they offer. Most are 20 to 25 years with normal wear this is only good if they are still in business.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
... WHAT DETERMINES THE NEED TO HAVE THEM REPLACED ? ...

They don't need to be replaced until they stop working. Probably the inverter they are connected to will stop working well before the panels do.

If the panels were a reputable brand when they were purchased 8 years ago then they probably have 15 years of life left, or more. If the original inverter hasn't been replaced then it will probably need to be replaced at least once during that time. If there are batteries it may be more complicated.

BTW there have never been 480V panels. You must mean something slightly different. Maybe they are installed in series strings that come out to 480V.

Zee

WHOA! I HEAR YOU!
I would just add:
Statistically: Panels "fade" about 0.5% a year. After 8 years, their output should be about 5% less.
How many panels?
What if any inverter?
480V???

hawkeye23

Sorry about the caps fellows. The 480 volt is the service. I have no idea what voltage the panels are. There are no batteries with this system. Just trying to get some information on how long the system will stay efficient.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.