Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: residential boat dock

residential boat dock

For Florida, what is the requirement for electric for a boat dock for residential. I looked in 2014 NEC and 555 does not apply to residential.
    Specifically i am asking about GFCI protection for feeder and what type of panel would i need, like NEMA 3r or 6P?

Thanks for your responses.

The 2017 NEC puts resi boat docks back under article 555, where they were prior to the 2002 NEC.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

thank you. i just read the 2017.
    i do have an issue. it says gfi protection required on mains, feeders and branch. if you put gfi on feeder and you put another in sub panel they trip. you cannot put 2 in line i believe this is a typo.

Quote Originally Posted by Len View Post
    thank you. i just read the 2017.
    i do have an issue. it says gfi protection required on mains, feeders and branch. if you put gfi on feeder and you put another in sub panel they trip. you cannot put 2 in line i believe this is a typo.
    Yes, GFCI and/or GFP/GFCI devices can be in series. But also note, terms are important here. The 2017 requires 30 ma GFP on the supply to a marina, not GFCI.
    Also, does this even apply in Florida for a residential dock? I thought Florida was on the 2014 NEC.

they are but chief inspector says because it is in 2017 it implies intent and they will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by texie View Post
    Yes, GFCI and/or GFP/GFCI devices can be in series. But also note, terms are important here. The 2017 requires 30 ma GFP on the supply to a marina, not GFCI.
    Also, does this even apply in Florida for a residential dock? I thought Florida was on the 2014 NEC.
    If 2014 applies they can't make you do it, but would not be a violation to install that 30mA GFP on the feeder either.

if inspector wants it he gets it. not worth arguing this. i would put gfp on feeder to dock. I do not see anything about what type of panel should be used. NEMA rating i am referring to

if inspector wants it he gets it. not worth arguing this. i would put gfp on feeder to dock. I do not see anything about what type of panel should be used. NEMA rating i am referring to
    What conditions is the panel likely subject to? If it is indoors and not likely to get wet NEMA 1 enclosure is fine, outdoors will likely need at least 3R, but if water will spray/splash from below may need to be more then 3R.

Salt water - may need to add an X to the designation.

outside on dock. so i think 6 maybe even 6P i have to find out if dock gets submerged at all

thanks

they are but chief inspector says because it is in 2017 it implies intent and they will follow.
    That does not sound kosher(enforceable).
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek