sub panel location

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been asked to set a sub panel in a half bath. I told the contractor let me double check. I feel like I cant do this but I cant find a code that says so. I have the clearance requirements. Does anyone know the code that forbids this or am I wrong?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The breakers are not allowed in a bath

Art. 240.24(D)

(E) Not Located in Bathrooms. In dwelling units, dormitories,
and guest rooms or guest suites, overcurrent devices,
other than supplementary overcurrent protection, shall not
be located in bathrooms.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I have been asked to set a sub panel in a half bath. I told the contractor let me double check. I feel like I cant do this but I cant find a code that says so. I have the clearance requirements. Does anyone know the code that forbids this or am I wrong?

See 240.24(E). Not allowed in dwelling units, dormitories, guest rooms and guest suites.

Edit: Or what Dennis said (he types faster than me.)

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
And before your customer tries to play games with terminology (i.e., "That rule is about bathrooms, and this is just a half-bath!"), the phrase "half bath" tells me there is a toilet and a sink, but no tub or shower. That is enough for the room to meet the definition of "bathroom," as that word is used in the NEC.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Oh by the way, is the project located in a dwelling unit? If this is in a factory, an office, a store, or a host of other types of buildings, the rule quoted above would not apply.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In reference to what Charlie said

Definition

Bathroom. An area including a basin with one or more of
the following: a toilet, a urinal, a tub, a shower, a bidet, or
similar plumbing fixtures.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Oh by the way, is the project located in a dwelling unit? If this is in a factory, an office, a store, or a host of other types of buildings, the rule quoted above would not apply.

I have never heard the term half bath for a commercial bathroom but who knows. I did assume dwelling

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I have also not heard the phrase "half bath" used in any context other than residential. But then, how often do you see full baths (e.g., with showers) in office buildings? It does happen, but the bathrooms on the floor that my office is located on has only toilets and sinks.

The breakers are not allowed in a bath

Ah, in overcurrent protection! Thank you, I knew it was somewhere. After reading it I think I may be able to do it. It is a detached garage at a single family home. It doesn't even share a roof. That's not exactly a dwelling unit according to the definition. What do you guys think? Do I have a leg to stand on if I ask permission at the building department? Its what the homeowner really wants.

I have also not heard the phrase "half bath" used in any context other than residential. But then, how often do you see full baths (e.g., with showers) in office buildings? It does happen, but the bathrooms on the floor that my office is located on has only toilets and sinks.
Yea, its residential. Maybe half bath is a southern thing? They are pretty common here in north east Florida, its a bathroom by definition but has no shower. The half part really has no bearing on my situation I just though it sounded like a more reasonable question that way. This one is in a detached garage. It has a toilet and a laundry sink but the room is pretty big.

donaldelectrician

Yea, its residential. Maybe half bath is a southern thing? They are pretty common here in north east Florida, its a bathroom by definition but has no shower. The half part really has no bearing on my situation I just though it sounded like a more reasonable question that way. This one is in a detached garage. It has a toilet and a laundry sink but the room is pretty big.

Can Pannel be on outside of bldg. ?

Don

John120/240

Even tho the bath room is in a detached garage I think 240.24(E) would still apply. The main structure at this address is a dwelling unit, & IMO that does not provide any relief even if the garage is detached.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The code says dwelling unit and not their associated buildings so IMO that would allow the install, however that would be an authority having jurisdiction call. Most inspectors will look at it as John does and include associated buildings

Even tho the bath room is in a detached garage I think 240.24(E) would still apply. The main structure at this address is a dwelling unit, & IMO that does not provide any relief even if the garage is detached.

The building dept. gave me a good answer I thought ya'll might like to hear. The bathroom is required to have a locking door, therefore no panel. Thanks for the input guys!

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
The building dept. gave me a good answer I thought ya'll might like to hear. The bathroom is required to have a locking door, therefore no panel. Thanks for the input guys!

That's a new one by me. I see panels in locked electrical closets all the time, so I don't know what having a locking door would have to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.