Dwelling refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am getting into this one a bit late. But at the risk of inadvertently agreeing with Bob :) , I submit that if you serve a kitchen refrigerator with a 15 amp individual branch circuit, then (1) that circuit is not a SABC, and (2) you don?t count it as 1500 VA in your load calculation. I offer two pieces of evidence, though I recognize that the evidence is not overwhelming. First of all, SABC are described in 210.11(C)(1) as 20 amp circuits, and nothing ever says that a 15 amp circuit can be given the name SABC. Secondly, 210.52(B)(1) says to put the fridge on a SABC, and then Exception 2 says we don?t have to do that (under a specific condition). That tells me that the 15 amp IBC that we do use for the fridge is not an SABC.

As to the question of counting the fridge?s 15 amp IBC at 1500 VA, please check out the Exception to 220.52(A).

kwired

Electron manager
I am getting into this one a bit late. But at the risk of inadvertently agreeing with Bob :) , I submit that if you serve a kitchen refrigerator with a 15 amp individual branch circuit, then (1) that circuit is not a SABC, and (2) you don?t count it as 1500 VA in your load calculation. I offer two pieces of evidence, though I recognize that the evidence is not overwhelming. First of all, SABC are described in 210.11(C)(1) as 20 amp circuits, and nothing ever says that a 15 amp circuit can be given the name SABC. Secondly, 210.52(B)(1) says to put the fridge on a SABC, and then Exception 2 says we don?t have to do that (under a specific condition). That tells me that the 15 amp IBC that we do use for the fridge is not an SABC.

As to the question of counting the fridge?s 15 amp IBC at 1500 VA, please check out the Exception to 220.52(A).
210.52(B)(1) does say the refrigeration equipment is included in the required SABC's - for kitchens, dining rooms, breakfast rooms, pantry, similar rooms. A refrigerator in a garage or basement is clearly not on a SABC per that section. The exception for 15 amp individual circuit does not mention anything that disqualifies it as being part of the SABC's and still is a part of the section covering SABC's. I agree we do not have to count the allowed 15 amp circuit as an individual SABC when it comes to load calculations.

Please point out the code that says the 15A IBC for the fridge is not a SABC, all I find is you do not need to add one more SABC to load calculations if you have that situation, but nothing stating it is not a SABC.

Now bring in a situation that was introduced where we have a cord and plug connected refrigerator that draws more then 80% of branch circuit rating - 15 or 20 amp circuit is not specified - just says that needs to be an individual branch circuit to that appliance. I can't say we definitely must treat that as an additional SABC for load calculations, but I do see it as a required circuit with the outlet in the area covered by 210.52(B) - so it must be a SABC unless it is in the garage or basement.

The 15 amp exception IMO doesn't disqualify it from 210.52(B) other then what is specifically mentioned. It doesn't even specify it must be 15 amps it says 15 amps or greater - so I would guess it is possible to have a 100 amp refrigerator circuit meet this exception though not very likely, but if it is indeed a SABC we are told to use 1500VA for load calculations purposes:blink:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Please point out the code that says the 15A IBC for the fridge is not a SABC. . . .
That would be the part where the NEC says it is OK to power the fridge from an "individual branch circuit." By definition of that phrase, there can be no other outlets on the circuit. Therefore, no other "small appliances" can be fed from the same circuit. Since this circuit is going to feed one "large appliance" and no "small appliances," it cannot be properly called an SABC.

And at the risk of repeating myself, I will repeat myself in saying that the rule says to put the fridge on an SABC, and then gives us an exception. That exception does not tell us that the SABC feeding the fridge can be a 15 amp SABC. The exception is taking exception to the rule that the fridge must be on an SABC.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
So for the sake of debate , say someone decides to engineer a 6x6 commercial refer unit in their residence because they've 99 kids

I would imagine the EX is there to allow addressing such debaucheries

~RJ~

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That would be the part where the NEC says it is OK to power the fridge from an "individual branch circuit." By definition of that phrase, there can be no other outlets on the circuit. Therefore, no other "small appliances" can be fed from the same circuit. Since this circuit is going to feed one "large appliance" and no "small appliances," it cannot be properly called an SABC.

And at the risk of repeating myself, I will repeat myself in saying that the rule says to put the fridge on an SABC, and then gives us an exception. That exception does not tell us that the SABC feeding the fridge can be a 15 amp SABC. The exception is taking exception to the rule that the fridge must be on an SABC.
Nothing says an SABC cannot be an IBC. In fact, 210.52(B)(1) Exception No. 2 says 15A or greater. If we put a refrigerator on a 20A IBC, is it an SABC or not by your reckoning? If we use a duplex receptacle, is it an IBC?

210.11(C)(1) "Small-Appliance Branch Circuits" is a subsection of 210.11 "Branch Circuits Required." It does not define SABC's. The only close [Article 100; or otherwise] definition is "Branch Circuit, Appliance". Note there is no frame of reference anywhere in the Code to distinguish large from small appliances.

On top of that, 210.11(C)(1) says the two or more 20A circuits specified in 210.52(B). When the exception is invoked, the refrigerator IBC does not count as either of the two or more 20A circuits, so you can't (IMO) say only 20A circuits can be an SABC.

Then we have 220.52 Exception, which permits us to exclude the refrigerator IBC from 220.52 calculation. We have to acknowledge the refrigerator IBC is an SABC to exclude it... and if we include it, it has to be an SABC. :D

(Note exclusion by the exception does not in any way permit us to exclude the refrigerator entirely from calculation, just that of 220.52.)

david

Are individual branch circuits defined?

If I supply my refrigerator with a 20 amp individual branch circuit and the Rec. Is placed at counter hieght just over the counter next to the refrigerator, can I supply the rest of the counter Rec. With just one additional 20 amp counter circuit.?

It was becoming common practice to supply refrigerator equipment on individual branch circuit. There was no allowance to lower the overcurrent protection on a appliance to more closely a line the overcurrent protection to the appliance rating. Since small appliance branch circuits where required to be 20 amp circuits. An allowance was made for the individual branch circuit for the refrigerator to be a 15 amp circuit.

I am in the camp that says the small alliance branch circuit is a 20 amp branch circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
I like that reasoning better then anything else produced up to this point that claims this is no longer a SABC- still not fully buying into that concept though.

So for the sake of debate , say someone decides to engineer a 6x6 commercial refer unit in their residence because they've 99 kids

I would imagine the EX is there to allow addressing such debaucheries

~RJ~
I would imagine with that big of a family one may even have a commercial "walk in" instead of a "household" refrigerator, and it may be larger then 6x6. I would think it would be more energy efficient then several smaller units. 99 kids and a single family is another discussion though, and wiring the place they live in is a dwelling but goes beyond typical dwellings, and about has to cross the lines for institutional occupancy.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, in article 100. "A branch circuit that supplies only one utilization equipment."
If I supply my refrigerator with a 20 amp individual branch circuit and the Rec. is placed at counter height just over the counter next to the refrigerator, can I supply the rest of the counter Rec. with just one additional 20 amp counter circuit.?
Tough question. My answer is that that would be a bad design, but not a code violation.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
If we use a duplex receptacle, is it an IBC?
I?ll start there: The answer is no, by the definition of ?branch circuit, individual,? as I quoted just above.
Nothing says an SABC cannot be an IBC. In fact, 210.52(B)(1) Exception No. 2 says 15A or greater.
I think we need to turn the discussion around. I submit that if you run a 20 amp circuit into a kitchen, and use it to power a receptacle (simplex or duplex), then that act CAUSES the circuit to BECOME a SABC. At that point, that circuit cannot be used to power anything (with two minor exceptions) other than receptacle outlets in one of the rooms on the list. On the other hand, if we run a 15 amp circuit into a kitchen, then our choices are to use it for the fridge (if and only if you install a simplex receptacle), or to use it for lights, or to use it for the microwave, or to use it for anything other than receptacles.
Then we have 220.52 Exception, which permits us to exclude the refrigerator IBC from 220.52 calculation. We have to acknowledge the refrigerator IBC is an SABC to exclude it... and if we include it, it has to be an SABC.
Not so, says I. That exception is clarifying that if we choose to install a 15 amp circuit, thus causing the circuit to not be an SABC, we need not assign it the same 1500 VA as is assigned to the circuits that are SABCs.

kwired

Electron manager
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by david If I supply my refrigerator with a 20 amp individual branch circuit and the Rec. is placed at counter height just over the counter next to the refrigerator, can I supply the rest of the counter Rec. with just one additional 20 amp counter circuit.?

Tough question. My answer is that that would be a bad design, but not a code violation.

I fail to see it being an "individual branch circuit" if it supplies the refrigerator and a countertop receptacle.

If it is a simplex receptacle dedicated to the refrigerator then it is not serving the countertop even if located above the countertop.

JMO.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
So wait... That means I could run a 20amp circuit to just one counter top outlet and plug the fridge into that?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Not so, says I. That exception is clarifying that if we choose to install a 15 amp circuit, thus causing the circuit to not be an SABC, we need not assign it the same 1500 VA as is assigned to the circuits that are SABCs.

Again if I run an IBC to the refrigerator and install it on a 20 amp breaker then we must count it as one small appliance branch circuit and assign 1500 va, however if I run a 15 amp IBC to the same refrigerator I don't need to assign it 1500 va???

david

If I supply my refrigerator with a 20 amp individual branch circuit and the Rec. Is placed at counter hieght just over the counter next to the refrigerator, can I supply the rest of the counter Rec. With just one additional 20 amp counter circuit.?

I am in the camp that says the small alliance branch circuit is a 20 amp branch circuit.

If I supply my refrigerator with a 15 amp individual branch circuit and the Rec. Is placed at counter hieght just over the counter next to the refrigerator, can I supply the rest of the counter Rec. With just one additional 20 amp counter circuit.?

The answer to this question becomes easy, no the counters are required to be supplied by two or more 20 amp circuits with the small appliance branch circuit restrictions applied to these circuits.

To me the answer to both questions, no matter if the individual branch circuit is a 15 amp or a 20 amp is no.

By definition the individual branch circuit is dedicated to a specific outlet, and by the exception the refrigerator outlet.

In a dwelling you could have two exactly the same refrigerators one served by an individual 15 amp branch circuit, And one served by a 20 amp individual branch circuit.

Or you could take those two exactly the same refrigerators and supply them by two different individual 15 amp branch circuits.

You also could take those two exactly the same refrigerators and supply them with two individual 20 amp branch circuits.

At a later date it is decided to add another dining room receptacle next to the kitchen you could extend from one of the individual 20 amp circuits that where designed to supply those refrigerators and supply the newly added dining room receptacle but you no longer have a individual branch circuit for that refrigerator / dinning room circuit you have a small appliance branch circuit.

Could you have called both of these individual 20 amp circuits at the start small appliance branch circuits, yes because the where both 20 amp circuits supplying receptacle?s in the areas described.

There is no restriction from the individual 20 amp circuits from being extended and becoming a small appliance branch circuit there is however restrictions placed on the individual 15 amp branch circuits in the exact same locations.

The individual branch circuit is defined, and I also believe it is clear that a small appliance branch circuit has to be a 20 amp circuit

So why are we calling the defined individual branch circuit a small appliance branch circuit when all the exception is saying is an indivdual branch circuit can supply an outlet that other wise was required to be supplied by a small appliance branch circuit?

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
So why are we calling the defined individual branch circuit a small appliance branch circuit when all the exception is saying is an indivdual branch circuit can supply and outlet that other wise was required to be supplied by a small appliance branch circuit?

:thumbsup:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If I supply a refrigerator with an IBC are you saying that it is not a small appliance branch circuit? Because if you are then art. 210.52(B) (1) would disagree with you, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.