Small appliance branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The NEC requires at least 2 small appliance branch circuit for a kitchen and each small appliance branch circuit must be calculated at 1500VA. If I run 4 small appliance branch circuit's do I need to calculate it at 6000VA instead of 3000VA. I have never done it that way.

220.52 Small-Appliance and Laundry Loads ? Dwelling Unit.

(A) Small-Appliance Circuit Load. In each dwelling unit, the load shall be calculated at 1500 volt-amperes for each 2-wire small-appliance branch circuit as covered by 210.11(C)(1). Where the load is subdivided through two or more feeders, the calculated load for each shall include not less than 1500 volt-amperes for each 2-wire small appliance branch circuit. These loads shall be permitted to be included with the general lighting load and subjected to the demand factors provided in Table 220.42.
Exception: The individual branch circuit permitted by 210.52(B)(1), Exception No. 2, shall be permitted to be excluded from the calculation required by 220.52.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
The NEC requires at least 2 small appliance branch circuit for a kitchen and each small appliance branch circuit must be calculated at 1500VA. If I run 4 small appliance branch circuit's do I need to calculate it at 6000VA instead of 3000VA. I have never done it that way.

I can't really see it being interpreted any other way than requiring 1500 va per circuit. No matter how many there are.

kwired

Electron manager
yes, we must have a minimum of two SABC's so 3000 VA is pretty much automatic, but we are not limited to a maximum number of SABC's either. If you are running more circuits you must be intending there to be more load so it makes sense to count each circuit IMO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
yes, we must have a minimum of two SABC's so 3000 VA is pretty much automatic, but we are not limited to a maximum number of SABC's either. If you are running more circuits you must be intending there to be more load so it makes sense to count each circuit IMO.

Not necessarily, I often run more circuits but only to spread the load to avoid toasters and coffee machine from being on together. How often do we really have more than 3000 va being used in a kitchen on the small appliance branch circuit.

The other thing that is interesting is that the refrigerator. can be on the small appliance branch circuit and yet we do not have to worry about calculating that appliance as an additional load. I often put the refrigerator on a separate 20 amp circuit but 220.52 allows me not to include it in the calculation.

I have never seen a sample question that asked us to calculate the load with 3 small appliance branch circuit.

The more I think about Art. 220 the more I believe there are alot of misconceptions and questions about it.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think that that exception allows us to use less than 1500 VA for the fridge, if it is fed from an individual branch circuit rated at 15 amps. We can instead use the expected, or average, load for a common kitchen fridge. What would that be, closer to 900 VA perhaps? We do have to count it, but we don't necessarily have to count it as though it were an SABC.

JDB3

I agree that the code does not make sense in many areas. If they have a counter top microwave, circuit should be just for that.
But how do we know it will stay in one place. One lady I know re-arranges her kitchen, to the point of moving her flat ware into different drawers & plates & etc..
I also figure the small appliance load by the number of circuits.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I think that that exception allows us to use less than 1500 VA for the fridge, if it is fed from an individual branch circuit rated at 15 amps. We can instead use the expected, or average, load for a common kitchen fridge. What would that be, closer to 900 VA perhaps? We do have to count it, but we don't necessarily have to count it as though it were an SABC.

This makes no sense. If I install a 20 amp IBC for the refrigerator I have to count it as 1500va yet if I install a 15 amp IBC I don't based on 220.52 exception. This does not exempt the refrigerator when on a 20 amp cir.

Exception: The individual branch circuit permitted by
210.52(B)(1), Exception No. 2, shall be permitted to be
excluded from the calculation required by 220.52.

Strathead

Occupation
Not necessarily, I often run more circuits but only to spread the load to avoid toasters and coffee machine from being on together. How often do we really have more than 3000 va being used in a kitchen on the small appliance branch circuit.

The other thing that is interesting is that the refrigerator. can be on the small appliance branch circuit and yet we do not have to worry about calculating that appliance as an additional load. I often put the refrigerator on a separate 20 amp circuit but 220.52 allows me not to include it in the calculation.

I have never seen a sample question that asked us to calculate the load with 3 small appliance branch circuit.

The more I think about Art. 220 the more I believe there are alot of misconceptions and questions about it.

I don't think 3000VA is that large of a stretch, 1200w for a mircowave, 800w for a coffee machine, 1100 watts for a toaster, and if you have a USB charger plugged in to the Dining room it might be enough to trip the circuit. Just kidding but remember that the SABC's also cover the dining, breakfast nook, pantry etc. I didn't include the refrigerator that we have been discussing. I wouldn't be OK in my kitchen without at least three. Of course, one is a dedicated microwave.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

IMO you only use 3000va regardless of the number of circuit you choose to use. Same would apply if you wanted to use 50 circuits when the 3va/square foot calculation said you only need 4.

Strathead

Occupation
IMO you only use 3000va regardless of the number of circuit you choose to use. Same would apply if you wanted to use 50 circuits when the 3va/square foot calculation said you only need 4.

I just don't see how you can read it that way? I contend that if that was what they intended, they would just say calculate 3000va for small appliance branch circuits instead of 1500va for EACH SABC per 220.52(A) there is just no indication in either code section that I can see.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So we have 2 opinions-- it seems that the code section requires 1500va for each small appliance branch circuit but I am not sure they mean to add 1500 va for each circuit over the required 2. I am with Trevor on this but I am not sure it is worded to supported our thoughts.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
So we have 2 opinions--
Yes, but only one of them counts. :lol: Just kidding.

220.52(A) says 1500 VA for each SABC "as covered by 210.11(C)(1)." That article speaks of two or more SABCs. So IMHO, the third one is also "covered by 210.11(C)(1)," and therefore the third one gets calculated at 1500 VA.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I just don't see how you can read it that way? I contend that if that was what they intended, they would just say calculate 3000va for small appliance branch circuits instead of 1500va for EACH SABC per 220.52(A) there is just no indication in either code section that I can see.

I would agree if we're discussing the optional method under 220.82(B)(2) where this is explicitly spelled out.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is Mike Holt 's response

220.52 states 1,500VA for each small appliance circuit per 220.11(C); 220.11(C) requires two or more small appliance circuits, so if you have three small appliance circuits, the VA load would be 4,500VA.

Toni, let?s add this question to the Master NEC Questions file under 220.52.

kwired

Electron manager
So we have 2 opinions-- it seems that the code section requires 1500va for each small appliance branch circuit but I am not sure they mean to add 1500 va for each circuit over the required 2. I am with Trevor on this but I am not sure it is worded to supported our thoughts.
Kind of states what I was going to say after reading post 1. I agree that in many instances 3000VA is sufficient for feeder or service calculations, but IMO they just don't have it worded that way. So if the intent is to only require 3000VA for the SABC's then they really need to make some changes IMO.

I also believe that if you apply 1500 VA for each circuit you will not be undersized for those instances when you have a really large kitchen and/or just happen to have designed it to be able to run a lot at one time, and that is probably the intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.