Nearest point of entry exceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

In 230.7a1

Section 230.70(A)(1) requires the service disconnect to be located at a readily accessible location either outside, or inside nearest the point of entry of the service conductors.

Are there any exceptions anywhere else that could extend this distance ?? Rigid, EMT, etc...

Note: We were looking at a service in rigid today that ran around 20 ft to CT cabinet then to mains and got to talking, and my electrician friend remembers running other services approx 20-30ft to a CT or Main Disconnect. I always ran them under 7ft and the couple I ran a few ft over I got turned down for.

RICK NAPIER

I can only think of theses.
230.6 Conductors Considered Outside the Building.
Conductors shall be considered outside of a building or other structure under any of the following conditions:

(1) Where installed under not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete beneath a building or other structure

(2) Where installed within a building or other structure in a raceway that is encased in concrete or brick not less
than 50 mm (2 in.) thick

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The distance you can run with service conductors is often regulated by local codes. In Washington, its 15 ft of raceway, and the type of raceway is limited.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
TN has a rule of thumb of 3 ft, but I have seen (and approved) much longer lengths when in exposed rigid in commercial/industrial areas where there is no chance of physical damage.

For safety sake why would anyone want to run farther than absolutely necessary. It's unfused wiring basically. Out here in the west the POCO dictates the rule and it is usually adjacent to and accessible to the fire department.

I have never seen a CT mounted outside and the main inside. Usually an all in one assembly of cabinets.

Status
Not open for further replies.