Thread: Lighting Design

Lighting Design

I would like to know the basic formula for designing a indoor and outdoor lights. Let's suppose i am going to light a room with an area of 50m2(10*5), so the formula what i know is Illumination = Area*Lumen/Watts*Total Wattage*Light depreciation factor*Maintenance factor. But how to add height into it i mean what's the exact method or formula when considering height as well!! confused :/ Please help!!

That would make my head hurt.

All manufacturers have data, design guides and photometrics for their products.

-Hal

I sort of get where you are going but I am not clear as to what you wish to include as a feature in your design.

as far as ceiling height you need to look at the inverse square law. :
    "the power of the light will be inversely proportional to the square of the distance. So if we take a distance of 2 and square it, we get 4, the inverse of which would be 1/4 or rather, a quarter of the original power - not half."

from Wikipedia:
    Mathematically formulated:

It can also be mathematically expressed as:

or as a constant quantity

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you looking for efficiency?

Long life?

I would not think that illumination would include all those things you list unless you are trying to achieve a certain illumination vs overall efficiency as well as life of the lamp.

Things to consider:

Lumens per watt
    Lumen maintenance - any light source output is diminished over life of the lamp.
    cost of replacement

For simple calculations and a sample fixture data sheet you want to use, Google "zonal cavity lighting calculator'
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    For simple calculations and a sample fixture data sheet you want to use, Google "zonal cavity lighting calculator'
    And if you really want to know the formulas, here they are:

http://aesl.hanyang.ac.kr/class/are1...o%20method.pdf