Range receptacle in base cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

keith gigabyte

I have a kitchen remodel job for one of my regular customers and they are remodeling the house. Trying to save costs they asked to leave 220v 50 a range outlet as is and drill side of base cabinet and route cord 12 inches inside cabinet to plug into exist 4w range outlet. I say move it to range opening. They don't want to spend money. Can't find anything to reference in code to back myself up... Any input?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You need to comply with (A) or (B);

422.33 Disconnection of Cord-and-Plug-Connected Appliances.
(A) Separable Connector or an Attachment Plug and Receptacle. For cord-and-plug-connected appliances, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means. Where the separable connector or plug and receptacle are not accessible, cord-and-plug-connected appliances shall be provided with disconnecting means in accordance with 422.31.
(B) Connection at the Rear Base of a Range. For cord-and-plug-connected household electric ranges, an attachment plug and receptacle connection at the rear base of a range, if itis accessible from the front by removal of a drawer, shall be considered as meeting the intent of 422.33(A).

John120/240

How much $$ will it take to move the range receptacle ? 4" SQ box, blank cover, connector, Labor, piece of wire $50. Or pull the wire to the basement/crawl space then poke up in the right location. Situations like this You can burn more time explaining to the customer why its not a good idea, than it would take to move the range receptacle.

retire09

How is this different from a dish washing machine that is commonly plugged in under the sink with the garbage disposer?
Accessible under a cabinet is more convenient than if it were behind the appliance.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Seems legal to me based on Infinity's post. It'll be accessible, probably more so than having to remove the range drawer and reach down there from your belly.

Status
Not open for further replies.