Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is my proposed wiring practical

Is my proposed wiring practical

I'm about to start a wiring project, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Four light fixtures between two 3-way switches.
    The book suggest this wiring. see attachment.

I suggest these changes numbered 1 through 3.
    see 'my version' drawn attachment.

1. I will be adding a dimmer switch.
    2. The hot supply wire to the first switch uses one wire only. not cable joined
    3. The traveler wires uses 2 wire cable, no splices or wire nuts, travels directly to second switch.
    4. The hot supply from to the second switch to the fixture uses one wire only. not cable joined.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	circuit.jpg 
Views:	254 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	18225   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	my version.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	121.8 KB 
ID:	18227  

I have no idea what you have there but it would not be my way of doing it. Feed one end 3 way switch and take a return cable to the light from the other end. In between run three wire cables to each switch. Pass the neutrals thru.
    They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
    She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
    I can't help it if I'm lucky

I am with Dennis. I do not understand your drawing.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

what Im trying to do is avoid wire nuts and splices of the traveler wires by
    going direct from one switch to the other, the wiring in my drawing
    accomplishes this. please reply

Quote Originally Posted by bbeell@live.com View Post
    what Im trying to do is avoid wire nuts and splices of the traveler wires by
    going direct from one switch to the other, the wiring in my drawing
    accomplishes this. please reply
    How is the neutral ran?

What exactly do you mean by "one wire only"? You cannot just run a single hot conductor by itself.
    "Electricity is really just organized lightning." George Carlin

Derek

Circuit wires need to be run together. Separating the travelers in a two wire would be against code.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

170812-1613 EDT

bbeell@live.com

I can not read the first attachment because of black on top of black. But I believe it is wrong because of the labeling of some cables as 2 wire.

You must always run all source lines (hots) with their associated return path (usually a neutral, but could be another hot).

Source and return wires when very close to each other produce little external magnetic field. When these wires are separated into a larger loop, then the source line and return line magnetic fields don't do much cancelation of each other.

Between the two three way switches you need a three wire cable, two hots and one return (neutral). Whichever hot wire is energized carrying load current will mostly cancel the magnetic field from the return wire because the three wires are in close proximity to each other.

The load(s) should not be in the return path. Thus, you should consider all three way and any four ways and associated wiring between them as the equivalent of one single SPST switch connected to a load(s).

I'm with Dennis make your cans up bring that wire to your 3way box we will call it load side then take 14 3 from that box to your other 3 way box we will call it your travelers. Then in that box bring in your line side or hot leg .now a dimmer. Switch isn't connected to and existing three way switch like in your drawings dimmer switche will only work on one side. So figure out which. Switch will be used the moste and put the dimmer there

Sent from my N9136 using Tapatalk

I've seen it done in the field by running just 3 wire to each switch to the outlet. Never did it this way but, they did a lot of wire Color swaping.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel malack View Post
    I've seen it done in the field by running just 3 wire to each switch to the outlet. Never did it this way but, they did a lot of wire Color swaping.

I had a contractor that swere up and down on using just 14/2 I hated it but it was to teach multiple ways but that 14/3 makes it much easier just cost a little more and make s it easier to id

Sent from my N9136 using Tapatalk