Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Would like some input please

Ok... Just breakers one and three trip with or with load connected. Phase orientation does not affect trip condition. Meaning if either b.c.c is moved to b phase then both breakers trip when turned on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith8691 View Post
    I didn't think of megging it...... what's your train of thought? A break down somewhere in the conductor in the conduit too slight to ring but enough to trip?

Yes. Typical DVM only has maximum of 9V test signal being applied, your normal operation is 120 volts to ground and 208 phase to phase. If you put out a test signal of 250 volts (or more) you will find things you won't find with 9 volts test signal.

If you don't have or want to get a megger and the run to the junction box isn't all that long you may just want to pull conductors out and I bet you will see the problem once you do that. Sounding like you have some sort of insulation integrity issue between two conductors, but takes enough voltage to break down enough cause a fault. Eventually it may become more solid of a fault or burn at least one conductor completely open causing other noticeable issues if that would happen.

Good idea, I will try it in the a.m. The chances of getting the conductors out the conduit after 50 years are probably slim to none.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmith8691 View Post
    Good idea, I will try it in the a.m. The chances of getting the conductors out the conduit after 50 years are probably slim to none.

1 inch with what you seem to describe as 11 conductors - probably 12 AWG, maybe a problem if slab is on/below grade, slab between floors - might not be bad at all.

It is in the basement floor slab. Correct, #12...... solid not stranded

To help pull out the existing conductors, you need to get an air compressor and blow through the conduit soap and some water or pulling lube. Just be sure you have something to contain what is blown out the conduit. After you pull the wires out, run a mandrel through several times followed up with a rag several times. You don't want to pull new wires over debris left in the conduit.

How long is the conduit?

If you megger, disconnect both ends of every wire so you don't damage anything.
    It's my name going on that drawing, not yours. If what you want ain't right, it ain't going on the drawings!

I've had real good luck with clearing conduits using white distilled vinegar. I used it a lot rewiring gas stations. Another contractor told me they used transmission fluid. I assume the vinegar ate at the corrosion and the transmission fluid was a good lubricant.

Our conduits went from inside to outside so we could blow out the conduits w/out having to worry. If you are inside to inside, different floors, it's gonna be a little more challenging.

Anyway, the point is, with some planning and creative thinking there is a good chance you can pull those conductors out.