Conduit out of the ground support a receptacle box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Can conduit out of the ground support a receptacle box? See attached.

Attachments

• CONDUIT BOX.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 13

JDB3

}} Not with one pipe but with two and some other requirements. See 314.23(F) {{{

So then, a box less than 100 cubic inches, may be supported by 2 PVC conduits if the male (terminal) adapters are screwed in wrench tight? :?
But, if the box is made of PVC, and has hubs where the PVC is to be cemented in with the proper PVC Cement, -then- this would not be allowed ? :? :?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is a "identified hub"?
First while the words "identified hub" are highlighted as a change in the 2014 code, it is not really a change. The following is the change from 2011 to 2014.
At the luminaire end, the conduit(s) shall be threaded wrench tight into the box or wiring enclosure, or into identified hubs identified for the purpose.
blue = new text, red = deleted text
I am not sure that any hub is identified to support an enclosure. Some inspectors will accept conduit hubs for this purpose and others will not.

JDB3

}} In my opinion you can't use PVC as it is not threaded. {{

The other day, I saw some guys that had pulled a residential well. Of course it was water (white) PVC, and a schedule 120 (never had seen that before) & the pipe, itself, was threaded. :jawdrop:
That would be something else if that was made for electrical use!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The exception ,no. 1 allowing 1 RMC or IMC for support of a conduit body,,,means a 2g wp bell box is not a conduit body?
A box is a box, it is not a conduit body, so even a one gang box cannot be supported by a single conduit. It would also be questionable as if a bell box has a conduit "hub". Is a tapped enclosure wall the same as a conduit hub?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A length of unistrut in the ground, a bag of ready mix is one way. There are clamps that go thru the back of a bell box around a 1/2" conduit driven into the ground.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
My guys love these for landscape jobs-- I realize it is not what the op is doing.

31AQ--Swp8L._SY300_.jpg

c26-B002W6ZP0K-3-s.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.