Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Got a red tag today because we bonded the gas line from a sub-panel. Not sure why thats a problem. He said it needs to run back to the main? Code reference please.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What kind of gas pipe, CSST? Regular old black pipe does not require a separate bonding connection by the NEC. CSST may have specific requirements from the manufacturer.

RICK NAPIER

This is the requirement from the 2015 International Fuel Gas Code and the same requirements is in the International Residential Code.

SECTION 310 (IFGS) ELECTRICAL BONDING

310.1 Pipe and tubing other than CSST.

Each above-ground portion of a gas piping system other than corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) that is likely to become energized shall be electrically continuous and bonded to an effective ground-fault current path. Gas piping other than CSST shall be considered to be bonded where it is connected to appliances that are connected to the equipment grounding conductor of the circuit supplying that appliance. 310.1.1 CSST.
Corrugated stainless steel tubing (CSST) gas piping systems shall be bonded to the electrical service grounding electrode system. The bonding jumper shall connect to a metallic pipe or fitting between the point of delivery and the first downstream CSST fitting. The bonding jumper shall be not smaller than 6 AWG copper wire or equivalent. Gas piping systems that contain one or more segments of CSST shall be bonded in accordance with this section.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Standard Blk pipe!

Then the inspector is incorrect unless there is a local code requirement. The NEC allows the the EGC in the branch circuit to a gas appliance to bond the gas pipe. Also IMO you cannot over-bond a pipe so you can add a bonding jumper to it if you so choose.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
On occasion I will encounter a hard pipe gas system where the piping supplies only appliances that have no electrical circuits (fire place, wall heater (no blower), etc).
In that case, as I read 250.104(B), you would need to bond back to the service or grounding electrode system.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
On occasion I will encounter a hard pipe gas system where the piping supplies only appliances that have no electrical circuits (fire place, wall heater (no blower), etc).
In that case, as I read 250.104(B), you would need to bond back to the service or grounding electrode system.
I realize that many narrow that section to branch circuit EGC, service , or GE. However, a subpanel EGC is just as viable. 250.104(B) does not say branch circuit. It says the EGC of the circuit likely to energize the pipe... and then most assume that is the branch circuit of the appliance connected to the pipe. Well the feeder that supplies that branch circuit is also part of the circuit likely to energize the pipe, so just as viable... and even more so for non-electrical gas devices.

iwire

Staff member
Well the feeder that supplies that branch circuit is also part of the circuit likely to energize the pipe, so just as viable...

I disagree with your 'everything is part of the circuit' theory when it comes to applying the NEC.

When the NEC refers to 'a circuit' it does not mean the entire circuit from source to load. (IMO)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

The million dollar question is what size conductor do you require?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I disagree with your 'everything is part of the circuit' theory when it comes to applying the NEC.

When the NEC refers to 'a circuit' it does not mean the entire circuit from source to load. (IMO)
Not suggesting it applies to everything. But let's look at this particular issue logically.

• Bonding to the EGC of the branch circuit likely to energize the pipe is okay
  • Bonding to the service grounded conductor or enclosure is okay
  • Bonding to a grounding electrode is okay
Why would bonding a subpanel feeder EGC not be okay?

The bonding jumper is size per 250.122 based on the OCPD of the circuit likely to energize the pipe. Say that is only a 20A circuit. It's okay to run a #12 to the service but not to the subpanel which could be closer?

This is the requirement from the 2015 International Fuel Gas Code and the same requirements is in the International Residential Code.

SECTION 310 (IFGS) ELECTRICAL BONDING

I do not believe that i have to install to the requirements of that publication :angel:

IMO then the piping isnt "likely to become energized." I know they dont define "likely to become energized" so there will be differences of opinion here. My friend got tagged a few weeks ago for not bonding a metal sewer pipe.......

Status
Not open for further replies.