Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 501.15(B)(2) - conduit Boundary Seals: Class I, Division 2 to Unclassified areas

501.15(B)(2) - conduit Boundary Seals: Class I, Division 2 to Unclassified areas

NEC states conduit boundary seals between Class I Division 2 and Unclassified areas do not have to be explosionproof. What exactly qualifies as a 'non-explosionproof' conduit boundary seal and how would you install it?

The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Quote Originally Posted by Dale001289 View Post
    NEC states conduit boundary seals between Class I Division 2 and Unclassified areas do not have to be explosionproof. What exactly qualifies as a 'non-explosionproof' conduit boundary seal and how would you install it?
    I've wondered the same thing, I see that your question hasn't really been answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim1959 View Post
    I've wondered the same thing, I see that your question hasn't really been answered.

We've always used Crouse-Hinds EYS conduit seals but these are in fact, explosion proof. I still don't quite understand what a non-explosion proof seal actually is.

Quite honestly, CMP 14 and UL have not disclosed what a non-explosionproof sealing compound is. The truth is, most Division 2/unclassified boundaries don't need any seals in the first place; that's why there are so many Exceptions.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    Quite honestly, CMP 14 and UL have not disclosed what a non-explosionproof sealing compound is. The truth is, most Division 2/unclassified boundaries don't need any seals in the first place; that's why there are so many Exceptions.
    Good point Bob.

The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

[QUOTE=dkidd;1852295]This stuff says it complies with 501.15(B)(2).

http://www.polywater.com/pdf/LIT-FST250NECFLYER.pdf

http://www.polywater.com/wp-content/...HDATASHEET.pdf[/QUOT

Looks good to me - thanks for finding!

I note there's no NRTL certification of any kind (the UL 'Recognized Component' mark doesn't count) - but personally I have no objections. NOW all you need is to determine what fittings to use.
    "Bob"
    Robert B. Alexander, P.E.
    Answers based on 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted.

Quote Originally Posted by rbalex View Post
    I note there's no NRTL certification of any kind (the UL 'Recognized Component' mark doesn't count) - but personally I have no objections. NOW all you need is to determine what fittings to use.

Looks like I'm right back to using either an explosion proof EYS or one of the Exceptions that allows the seal to be omitted all together. I spoke to Polywater in MN and they didn't have a clue what kind of conduit fitting would work either.