Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Warehouse lighting controls

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kenosha
    Posts
    27

    Warehouse lighting controls

    I'm looking to see what everyone else is doing for warehouse lighting controls; I am looking at updating one of our buildings soon here.

    Currently, we have GE powerblock contactors throughout one of our older buildings controlled by multiple momentary 120V switches. We have 750W HID lighting throughout the warehouse and have these powerblocks located in 7-8 different sections of the building each section controlling between 12 and 40 lighting circuits. Originally we had electrically held powerblocks and had issues with them so we changed them to mechanically held blocks and are still having issues with them.

    What I am looking for is to find a control package somewhere in the middle of the low grade contactor blocks and a full on lighting control system ie. Powerlink or Greengate. I'm thinking of a lighting relay panel (mechanical not SSR type) that doesn't have all the bells and whistles like bacnet communication and what not.

    I thought about building our own own MCC style lighting control panel, but can't find a din rail mounted mechanical relay 120V coil rated for what I'm looking for.

    Anybody have any suggestions?

    Thank You

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Posts
    6,002
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscElectrician View Post
    I'm looking to see what everyone else is doing for warehouse lighting controls; I am looking at updating one of our buildings soon here.

    Currently, we have GE powerblock contactors throughout one of our older buildings controlled by multiple momentary 120V switches. We have 750W HID lighting throughout the warehouse and have these powerblocks located in 7-8 different sections of the building each section controlling between 12 and 40 lighting circuits. Originally we had electrically held powerblocks and had issues with them so we changed them to mechanically held blocks and are still having issues with them.

    What I am looking for is to find a control package somewhere in the middle of the low grade contactor blocks and a full on lighting control system ie. Powerlink or Greengate. I'm thinking of a lighting relay panel (mechanical not SSR type) that doesn't have all the bells and whistles like bacnet communication and what not.

    I thought about building our own own MCC style lighting control panel, but can't find a din rail mounted mechanical relay 120V coil rated for what I'm looking for.

    Anybody have any suggestions?

    Thank You
    your plan is to keep the 750 watt HID luminaries?

    you just want controls only? it's gonna be hard to beat
    a latching contactor like what you already have.

    considering a LED replacement for those 750 watt lamps
    pulls about 150 watts for the same illumination, and can
    be controlled a lot easier, how many hours a day do these
    run?
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kenosha
    Posts
    27
    They are on about 90-95% of the week total. There are 2 - 8 hour shifts where the lights are off weekly.

    I would love to get rid of the HID lighting, but getting approvals for a retrofit has proven difficult regardless of the paypack periods.

    Thank You

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscElectrician View Post
    They are on about 90-95% of the week total. There are 2 - 8 hour shifts where the lights are off weekly.

    I would love to get rid of the HID lighting, but getting approvals for a retrofit has proven difficult regardless of the paypack periods.

    Thank You
    Someone at your company needs to get educated, there are many programs out there like lighting as a service.
    Instead of shelling out the capital investment for a lighting upgrade at the beginning of your project, your lighting service provider will come out and install and warranty your new long-life, high-efficiency lighting system on their dime. Then, with a portion of the money you save on reduced energy bills, you budget a monthly payment for your lighting. It’s effectively a way to get the advantage of the lighting upgrade you’ve been considering and making it cash-flow positive from day one. Feel free to contact me if you want more Info.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kenosha
    Posts
    27
    Thanks, but not what we're looking for.

    I've done all the calculations and showed the simple pay back periods, NPV's, Future Value's. Upper management is not interested yet because business is good, makes things harder to sell to people that don't need the money.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscElectrician View Post
    Thanks, but not what we're looking for.

    I've done all the calculations and showed the simple pay back periods, NPV's, Future Value's. Upper management is not interested yet because business is good, makes things harder to sell to people that don't need the money.
    Understood, Some people just like tripping over dollars to pick up dimes. I have you checked what the rebate is in your area.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •