Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fused vs. Non-Fused

Fused vs. Non-Fused

Here's a question I've always wanted to ask, and would like some clarity on:

In PV systems, I've noticed that some disconnects are fusible and some are non-fusible.

Can someone give me pros/cons of using each? What are some situations where you would want to use a particular type? Thanks!

Regards,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.tkelly View Post

In PV systems, I've noticed that some disconnects are fusible and some are non-fusible.

Can someone give me pros/cons of using each? What are some situations where you would want to use a particular type? Thanks!

Regards,
    Andy
    If you are connecting via a line side connection, you must use a fused disco within 10' of the point of interconnection. If you are connecting through a backfed breaker, fuses are redundant and unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.tkelly View Post

Regards,
    Andy
    I made a list a while back about breakers vs fused switch vs non-fused switch but couldnt find it. I dont see non-fused as having much use unless it is a utility requirement or a disconnecting means is needed/wanted say at a separate structure. Note that Non fused switches have a relatively low SCCR of 10,000 amps (they do "series rate" with certain fuses), which further limits their use.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I made a list a while back about breakers vs fused switch vs non-fused switch but couldnt find it. I dont see non-fused as having much use unless it is a utility requirement or a disconnecting means is needed/wanted say at a separate structure. Note that Non fused switches have a relatively low SCCR of 10,000 amps (they do "series rate" with certain fuses), which further limits their use.
    Around here we must install a bladed disconnect near the point of interconnection or the utility meter for every PV system we install. Every utility in Texas I have dealt with (and that's most of them) have that requirement. Some AHJ's even require two of them for some systems.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Around here we must install a bladed disconnect near the point of interconnection or the utility meter for every PV system we install. Every utility in Texas I have dealt with (and that's most of them) have that requirement. Some AHJ's even require two of them for some systems.
    Yes most utilities require that here in NY too. I am spacing out: do most fused disconnects have visible break or not? I definitely recall seeing ones where the mechanism was shielded....

"You can't generalize"

you may also find the requirement for 110.26 application become a different interpretation for a non fused disconnect.
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

Yes most utilities require that here in NY too. I am spacing out: do most fused disconnects have visible break or not? I definitely recall seeing ones where the mechanism was shielded....
    The ones we use have them.

Bear with me, but considering the SCCR limitation and that you need an OCPD somewhere anyway, I still see quite limited use for non fused switches. I guess if you make your interconnection inside the building with a a fused switch, and need to add a switch outside for the utility. That could be non fused. Interconnect with a circuit breaker and unless its a small service, you will likely need a fused switch.

"You can't generalize"

Bear with me, but considering the SCCR limitation and that you need an OCPD somewhere anyway, I still see quite limited use for non fused switches. I guess if you make your interconnection inside the building with a a fused switch, and need to add a switch outside for the utility. That could be non fused. Interconnect with a circuit breaker and unless its a small service, you will likely need a fused switch.
    Au contraire. If you interconnect with a circuit breaker, fuses in the disco are redundant and unnecessary. We deploy far more unfused discos than fused ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    Au contraire. If you interconnect with a circuit breaker, fuses in the disco are redundant and unnecessary. We deploy far more unfused discos than fused ones.
    But I was speaking to the low sccr rating of non fused switches. What I was getting at is if you use a circuit breaker interconnection, a non fused switch does not series rate with it. Sure likely not an issue with a residential service, it doesn't take a very large service to get over 10k. Of course if one is ignoring the sccr rating, it's a moot point

"You can't generalize"