NM Cable Jacket Color

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently came to acquire a fairly large quantity of older 12/3 NM cable. The sheathing on the cable is white. I know that currently the industry standard is yellow, but is it acceptable (per the NEC) to use the white-sheathed 12/3 cable?

Thank you.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The color is not a code or standard requirement. The manufacturer is free to use any color they want to. They could make #12 with an orange jacket or #14 with a yellow jacket if they wanted to.

mwm1752

(a) More Than Three Current-Carrying Conductors.
Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three, or where single conductors or
multiconductor cables are installed without maintaining spacing for a continuous length longer than 600 mm (24 in.) and are not installed in raceways, the allowable ampacity of each conductor current-carrying conductor of a paralleled set of conductors shall be counted as a current-carrying conductor.

Is the maintained spacing between needed 1/2" -- 1" -- 1/4" --- 12" in order for derating not to be applied???

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
so mike I see your pic says bundling -- is there a thermal insulation somewhere?

You can have bundling without thermal insulation

I guess it can be compliant to bundle without derating but why take a picture?

Where the bundling is more than 24".

310.15(B)(3).

Is spacing between 1/2" -- 1" -- 1/4" 12" ???

You lost me.:?
Did you read the code section I provided?

Where the number of current-carrying conductors in a raceway or cable exceeds three, or where single conductors or
multiconductor cables are installed without maintaining spacing for a continuous length longer than 600 mm (24 in.) and are not installed in raceways, the allowable ampacity of each conductor current-carrying conductor of a paralleled set of conductors shall be counted as a current-carrying conductor.

Is the maintained spacing between needed 1/2" -- 1" -- 1/4" --- 12" in order for derating not to be applied???

I called the pic bundling. Never meant to STATE that it was.

Was just having fun but we could talk about 310.15(B)(2) since it IS in an attic. :D

The pic was in a report, to show unpermitted work.

Is this wiring in an attic subject to damage? There are stairs to the attic.

electricalist

Well then Mike you got me with bundling by proxy.
I was on a gazebo rough and it had a very high vaulted ceiling in the middle. So I used the super large staple to group the circuits across the wall above the vault so they wouldn't be going up and over and down . I was impressed til I got the red tag for bundling. .

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

The NEC doesn't specify so you could go 24" with a space and then 24" more with a space, repeat as necessary. ;)

CallMeJC

The color is not a code or standard requirement. The manufacturer is free to use any color they want to. They could make #12 with an orange jacket or #14 with a yellow jacket if they wanted to.

When they first started coloring the sheathing we had 14-2 NM that was light blue. Not sure why . . .

electricalist

I remember standing at the panel and counting circuits. This is a #12 ,,no,,,14 ,,,,no maybe it is a 12 ,,,bend it a few times scratch my head , ,,
Back when it was white and thicker. I DO NOT MIS THOSE DAYS

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I called the pic bundling. Never meant to STATE that it was.

Was just having fun but we could talk about 310.15(B)(2) since it IS in an attic. :D

The pic was in a report, to show unpermitted work.

Is this wiring in an attic subject to damage? There are stairs to the attic.

You want to see a running board added to the brick column?

Status
Not open for further replies.