Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Closet Fire Rating

Closet Fire Rating

Have a tele/data closet that has sheetrock. Is there any way this closet could be a 2 hour rated closet if it's sheetrocked? Thought it had to be ONLY masonary/concrete exposed walls to be 2 hour rated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Have a tele/data closet that has sheetrock. Is there any way this closet could be a 2 hour rated closet if it's sheetrocked? Thought it had to be ONLY masonary/concrete exposed walls to be 2 hour rated. Thanks.
    The short answer is "yes". See here for an installation guide from USG. Basically requires double 5/8" board on each side of the stud.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    The short answer is "yes". See here for an installation guide from USG. Basically requires double 5/8" board on each side of the stud.
    thanks

What about the door/frame? If they don't have a 2-hour label, then the wouldn't be rated.

4 layers of 5/8" Sheetrock is pretty standard for the 2 hour wall rating.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Quote Originally Posted by GrayHair View Post
    What about the door/frame? If they don't have a 2-hour label, then the wouldn't be rated.
    Oddly enough, openings in a 2-hour rated room are allowed to be 1-1/2 rated.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Yep. Adjoining walls in hotels are often rated 2 hour, and iirc it doesnt even require double 5/8" on both sides.

If you are worried about penetrating it, you can get pre-made sleeve kits from STI that have everything you need and a 2 hr rating if installed correctly.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Yep. Adjoining walls in hotels are often rated 2 hour, and iirc it doesnt even require double 5/8" on both sides.

If you are worried about penetrating it, you can get pre-made sleeve kits from STI that have everything you need and a 2 hr rating if installed correctly.
    Hotels do not fall under the IRC.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    Hotels do not fall under the IRC.
    That's I I R C not I R C. Time for new glasses!

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    That's I I R C not I R C. Time for new glasses!
    ok I give what's the IIRC?
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector