use of 220.82

Status
Not open for further replies.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
220.82(A)... "This section applies to a dwelling unit having the total connected load served by a single 120/240-volt or 208Y/120-volt set of 3-wire service or feeder conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater."

The shop is not a dwelling unit.

The house is a dwelling unit. The service serves the dwelling unit. The shop is part of the total connected load of the service. Seems clear enough to me.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The house is a dwelling unit. The service serves the dwelling unit. The shop is part of the total connected load of the service. Seems clear enough to me.
I think you are drawing conclusions which are not stated. It says this section (2220.82) applies to a dwelling unit... It does not say it applies to a service which supplies in part a dwelling unit.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I think you are drawing conclusions which are not stated. It says this section (2220.82) applies to a dwelling unit... It does not say it applies to a service which supplies in part a dwelling unit.

220.82 says it applies to a dwelling unit having a total connected load served by a single set of 3 wire service conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater. I'm applying it to a dwelling unit having a total connected load served by a single set of 3 wire service conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
220.82 says it applies to a dwelling unit having a total connected load served by a single set of 3 wire service conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater. I'm applying it to a dwelling unit having a total connected load served by a single set of 3 wire service conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater.
Yes... but you are drawing the conclusion it applies to the total connected load of the service, not just the total connected load of the dwelling unit. First and foremost, the title of 220.82 is "Dwelling Unit"... not "Dwelling Unit Premises".

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Yes... but you are drawing the conclusion it applies to the total connected load of the service, not just the total connected load of the dwelling unit. First and foremost, the title of 220.82 is "Dwelling Unit"... not "Dwelling Unit Premises".

(A) Feeder and Service Load. This section applies to a dwelling unit having the total connected load served by a single 120/240-volt or 208Y/120-volt set of 3-wire service or feeder conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater

Smart $

Esteemed Member
(A) Feeder and Service Load. This section applies to a dwelling unit having the total connected load served by a single 120/240-volt or 208Y/120-volt set of 3-wire service or feeder conductors with an ampacity of 100 or greater
I've underlined the subject. Everything after that is a condition.

What if the condition was true, but the service supplied both an upstairs apartment and a downstairs boutique... would you calculate the entire service, including the boutique, under the optional method?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I've underlined the subject. Everything after that is a condition.

What if the condition was true, but the service supplied both an upstairs apartment and a downstairs boutique... would you calculate the entire service, including the boutique, under the optional method?

Yes. But would use 220.82 (feeders) for the dwelling unit and anything associated with it.

I would also be looking at 210.25.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... would you calculate the entire service, including the boutique, under the optional method?

Yes. But would use 220.82 (feeders) for the dwelling unit and anything associated with it.
Yes???

That would be a Code violation. The boutique is not a dwelling unit.

It would apply to feeder for apartment, but only where total connected [apartment] load is supplied with 3-wire not less than 100A.

I would also be looking at 210.25.
Correct, but let's not stray from the issue.

The point is that the entire service is not calculated by the optional method... That is the total connected load of the service includes loads not associated with the dwelling unit. Same goes for a single dwelling unit residence with appurtenances not directly associated with the dwelling unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.