Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AAA Road Service - What they don't tell you

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    That's fine and I'm OK with that. But I have been towed by them before when I had my Ford E250 van. My gripe now is that they've been taking my $100+ membership dues for many years now so, if they had a policy change why am I just finding out about it now ? And, why did I have to find out about it purely by chance ?
    They probably did send a policy change that is two pages long and is comprised of words that no one understands. Besides who reads policy change letters anyway, I know I don't. It goes straight to trash.
    Edward
    The only thing I know, is the progressive discovery of my ignorance

Quote Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
    if they had a policy change why am I just finding out about it now ?
    Are you sure it's a policy change? It might have been the policy since before you joined. They told me no commercial vehicles when I joined 25 years ago.

AAA is not who is towing you, it is a towing company that AAA has approved. If the company wants to charge more because it is a commercial vehicle or because you have that ladder involved, AAA rejects the claim.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Are you sure it's a policy change? It might have been the policy since before you joined. They told me no commercial vehicles when I joined 25 years ago.
    Never got that info.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I've had AAA for about 25 years. I've always known that my membership does not apply to commercial vehicles, only my personal vehicles.
    I dont believe that to be the case. AAA doesnt actually cover a vehicle, it covers a member and whatever vehicle he/she is in. I dont recall ever seeing anyone check the registration of the towed vehicle. My truck is owned and registered to to my LLC and it has been towed.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    AAA is not who is towing you, it is a towing company that AAA has approved. If the company wants to charge more because it is a commercial vehicle or because you have that ladder involved, AAA rejects the claim.
    Actually I believe that in some metro areas, AAA operates their own trucks.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

I think also that AAA isnt one entity, its a group of clubs that have reciprocal agreements between them, so maybe policies vary a little bit between them?
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    I dont believe that to be the case. AAA doesnt actually cover a vehicle, it covers a member and whatever vehicle he/she is in. I dont recall ever seeing anyone check the registration of the towed vehicle. My truck is owned and registered to to my LLC and it has been towed.
    As I said above, I too have had my commercial vehicle serviced. The tow drivers won't usually give you a hassle, however:

I used to tow for a living, my wife still does: Regular AAA and AAA-Plus does NOT cover RV's, duallies, commercial trucks, lowered or lifted vehicles. If possible, I would usually tow them anyway if I could. You need AAA's RV coverage, like grnthmb has.

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/aa...oday-4907.html

On Monday, all of you can call AAA to confirm I they do, or don't

In my conversation with the AAA supervisor never once did he mention adding an "RV" sub-script to my subscription. He simply and flat-out said they wouldn't tow my vehicle with ladders on top. Just to be clear, about 5 years ago, when I had a Ford E250 (basically the same size as my current GMC Savannah 2500) I was towed several times by AAA and never took my ladders off.

I have the American Motorcyclist Assn's Roadside Assistance Plus- "AMA Roadside Assistance Plus includes unlimited service calls a year for all vehicles registered to your household. It includes motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs. It does not cover commercial vehicles or commercial trailers."

Likely that most comm'l vehicle insurance policies probably have a towing rider for an extra cost, just have to ask about it.

Quote Originally Posted by zbang View Post
    I have the American Motorcyclist Assn's Roadside Assistance Plus- "AMA Roadside Assistance Plus includes unlimited service calls a year for all vehicles registered to your household. It includes motorcycles, cars, trucks, trailers and RVs. It does not cover commercial vehicles or commercial trailers."

Likely that most comm'l vehicle insurance policies probably have a towing rider for an extra cost, just have to ask about it.
    If you are a traveling salesperson or some other similar job where you drive a "car" for your work, isn't that vehicle technically a commercial vehicle? Now drive an SUV instead and you have a vehicle that is technically in a trucks and vans classification and they may scrutinize the claim more then for a regular sedan used for same purposes.

Bottom line is the insurance industry is about profits first, especially for the top officers or any investors, then try to get out of as many claims as possible on technicalities.